Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: People of the United Kingdom, I give you the Geminid meteor shower of tonight.  (Read 770 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Some of you may or may not have been watching everyone's favourite penguin, Sir Patrick Moore, on The Sky at Night.
The program did explain that the Geminid meteor shower (much awaited by astronomers) shall take place this month, and should peak tonight.

According to this yahoo news article here, the meteors should be most visible in the early hours of the morning, and as the shower moves quite slowly, it could be possible for 120 to 160 meteors to be seen in one hour.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20091213/tuk-shooting-stars-set-to-light-up-uk-ni-45dbed5.html

Well ladies and gentlemen, I can assure you that I shall indeed be checking my night sky as soon as possible for cloud cover and if all goes well for us we may be in for a beautiful night.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

Hmm, haven't heard of this.  I'll have a look.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

I thank you Owlbread, for bringing such a beautiful display to the people of the British Isles.I would question your orchestrating such an event during a cold December night, but what place do I have in questioning your celestial might? Surely, such affairs of the stars must be beyond my grasp.

And yeah, I'm just slightly bitter about our own meteor shower not coming after two hours of waiting in the cold night a few weeks ago.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thank you Owlbread, for bringing such a beautiful display to the people of the British Isles.I would question your orchestrating such an event during a cold December night, but what place do I have in questioning your celestial might? Surely, such affairs of the stars must be beyond my grasp.

And yeah, I'm just slightly bitter about our own meteor shower not coming after two hours of waiting in the cold night a few weeks ago.

No thanks are necessary my fine fellow, but I must say that I generally prefer christmas time for this sort of thing, regardless if I am indeed the creator of such a display. I think it just makes that time of year all the more special.