Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 3D Visualisation - Data Bank  (Read 2437 times)

tuxu

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to help, I like magma. :)
    • View Profile
    • empires-mod
3D Visualisation - Data Bank
« on: November 29, 2009, 05:53:15 am »

Hi all.
My name is Tuxu and I'm new on this forum.

Emo mumbo-jumbo (you can skip it unless you really dont want to):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My Question:
I've noticed that there are several 3D Visualisation 3rd party softwares to DF.
Currently, I am using Visual Fortress v0.802 which was very user friendly and not complicated as some of the others. It's very rewarding for me to see my 2D fort rises to be a "tangible" object. :)
Not all of the terrains/objects/textures exist in these softwares apear while renderring.

1. I want to help with the creation of some models and textures for these emulation softwares. My job *is* architectural design (gfx as well, "Design is Design") so i might as well chip in where i can.
2. Since most of the creative assembly here and in every free forum are using free tools and can port models from one filetype to a different one I thought it'd be prudent to creat a cohesive Data-Bank that will include objects, textures and general resources for current and future referance and development of 3D viewer softwares.

I am willing to free some of my time to manage that databank and orgenize it if none will, By all means i am just a novice in this game and certainly can't presume to know the inner-workings of this community how ever as my old man told me once: "If you have something to offer - say it and let people judge for themselves." so I did. :)

Oh, nearly forgot.
I've noticed that the model files are in a in a *.bin format and wasn't sure how should I export files I may create...
This goes to anyone who developes such a 3D renderer or just know enough about them:
Please tell me the size of the models/textures you need (Maybe there's a templete?) and i'll try to make them for you, maybe saving you some time and definitly haveing fun myself. :)

I'm eager to see this growing. ^^
- What ever you can do, I can do better. So I'll let you practice... :p
 Tuxu has become a Legendery Lazydwarf!

Heaven lasts long, and Earth abides. What is the secret of their durability?
Is it because they do not live for themselves - That they endure so long?
-- Lao Tzu

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: 3D Visualisation - Data Bank
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 07:16:02 am »

Hey, have you checked the Stonesense? It's being worked on by a few dedicated members and community helps it alot. It's not 3d in a common term but very nice looking. Also it's real-time.

Salutations to Bay 12 on their efforts to creat this title.
I think that the most important thing is the amount of effort put into this by Tarn Adams (Toady One) and all the background offered by his brother (Three-Toe).
It's not uncommon to see some weird phrase like "toady is a god" or "praise armok" on these forums, and it's the dedication of the developers which made it (back from 2002 :o).

So, welcome! Our community may be weird or strange sometimes, but we really like each other and the game so another member is a great addition always!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 08:18:37 am »

It's not uncommon to see some weird phrase like "toady is a god" or "praise armok" on these forums, and it's the dedication of the developers which made it (back from 2002 :o).

There's also the Cult of the One Toad, IIRC.

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 09:06:54 am »

Huhm, well regarding textures, I had started a 'data bank' as you put it.
Visualizer Textures Project

I was going to cover 3D models too, but I'm not confident enough to start on them yet.

tuxu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • empires-mod
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 10:02:06 am »

So, welcome! Our community may be weird or strange sometimes, but we really like each other and the game so another member is a great addition always!

Thank you for the hearty welcome, friend. To your question - yes, I have checked Stonesense but thank you for making sure i didn't missed it.
The reason I was refering spesificly to the 3D terrain renderers is because i find the external/internal spaces in the buildings and mines facinating.
Architecture is my vice, you see...

Huhm, well regarding textures, I had started a 'data bank' as you put it.
Visualizer Textures Project
I was going to cover 3D models too, but I'm not confident enough to start on them yet.
DIS IZ WOT IM TALKIN' ABOUT!
Nexii you just made my day, THANK YOU!
lets cooperate and do a complete set of all the objects in the game!
<this is a mandatory line with no exclamation mark>
The scale of this task might seem daunting but lets start with some basic stuff and then move up.
PM me if you're on, infact; This goes to everyone who wants to help - post here and PM me if you want to help continue what Nexii had started. This way we can devide the work between us and a few monthes away we'll have something amazing ready! (so'z 'bout the extra exclamation mark :-[ )

There's also the Cult of the One Toad, IIRC.

Alas, for I am alraedy following the cult of the Jakotian-Panda-God-Emperor. :-[

btw, I am no stranger to strangeness...  ::)
Strangeness is welcomed, and fey mood is even more welcomed!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 10:03:38 am by tuxu »

-- Lao Tzu

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 01:03:47 pm »

Wasn't there a program, or possibly a way of using an existing program, to take the heightmap DF can export of a world, and render it in 3d? I think I remember some pretty good results, I'll have a quick look.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 01:39:02 pm »

Wasn't there a program, or possibly a way of using an existing program, to take the heightmap DF can export of a world, and render it in 3d? I think I remember some pretty good results, I'll have a quick look.

Maybe you're thinking of Khazad?

The other two main 3D ones, 3DDwarf and the newer one, Visual Fortress (there is a major update for it that is coming soon, which includes many new models for almost everything in the game), both of which I think do something like that.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 01:47:12 pm »

It was Terragen.

Pretty awesome.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 03:43:15 pm »

Maybe you're thinking of Khazad?

The other two main 3D ones, 3DDwarf and the newer one, Visual Fortress (there is a major update for it that is coming soon, which includes many new models for almost everything in the game), both of which I think do something like that.
All three use memory hacking rather than heightmap. I think only the early versions of 3DDwarf used heightmapping? Might have even been a predecessor to 3Ddwarf. Hm...

It was Terragen.

Pretty awesome.
Terragen is indeed, awesome. But Terragen 2, is...beyond...I don't know. TG2 blew my mind, then put it back together, and blew it again a couple of times more.

tuxu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • empires-mod
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 08:34:46 pm »

It was Terragen.

Pretty awesome.

True, it is awsome.
Wait, does terragen renders my DF forts now?!? I thought it was a just a general scenery generation soft  ???
Is it possible to render all the layers of my fort and surrounding terrain with terragen? i don't see how unless someone wrote a plugin for that, but what do i know, lol.

I dont suppose that it would import stuff like floodgates, pumps and grates, would it now.

Anyway if someone is working on something i'll be happy to help with the models.

I work on 3DS-Max.

-- Lao Tzu

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 09:19:45 pm »

No, just the world the fort is in.

And you have seen the visual fortress thread, right?

tuxu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • empires-mod
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 12:24:01 am »

No, just the world the fort is in.

And you have seen the visual fortress thread, right?

i think i had.

i am using visual fortress and i can say that I'm quite a sharp modeler (tap on own's shoulder) so i wanted to chip in and see that epic VF wrapped up nicely, as I have said in my first post.

I just need to know to who to send the files, of that hypothetical person might even want these files :(

Here is a sample of something I modeled; check the foam texture, I'll bet you'll be looking for a cup of cappuccino in a sec after! :P

Clickable thumb:

-- Lao Tzu