Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40D16] mother permanantly seeking dead baby  (Read 1294 times)

Silent

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[40D16] mother permanantly seeking dead baby
« on: December 10, 2009, 09:00:35 pm »

One of my miners dropped her baby in a channel with 5/7 water, and promptly forgot about it. I thought maybe she wasn't retrieving it because the water was too deep (dangerous terrain), so i organized a rescue effort by digging ramps immediately adjacent to the baby and lowering the water level to 2-3/7, but my miner would not retrieve her baby. I even went to far as to disable all her labors, so she would have nothing to do but pick up her baby (even though 'seek infant' would cancel them anyway), and she just neglected it until it eventually died of thirst.

Now, about a season later, she suddenly remembers she had a baby and is perpetually spamming my Announcement screen, "cancels put item in stockpile: seeking infant" and "cancels seek infant: could not find path", such that it completely drowns my announcement screen. I checked her happiness, she's ecstatic and has no unhappy thought from losing a baby. The miner does not appear to know that her baby is dead.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: [40D16] mother permanantly seeking dead baby
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 11:05:35 pm »

"Oh, bother. I'm sure I put him around here somewhere... Hold on, let me just look for him... Um, no, not there..." *a few years later*
"LADY, YOUR BABY IS DEAD. LET GO"
"No no, I'm sure I saw him just the other day. Somewhere around here."
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 12:40:35 pm »

Probably this one:

# 000565 □ [dwarf mode][jobs][healthcare]    (Report) mothers that have lost a child continue to seek the infant

Kind of an appalling bug, isn't it.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 02:26:39 pm »

Probably best to just recruit her and send her out to fight in a siege so she dies an honorable death.
Either that, or feed her into your garbage disposal or other preferred deathtrap.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 03:40:29 pm »

I say you build an asylum and lock her in there. I've always wanted to build one. You can use dumps to drop food and booze in her cell.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 12:34:08 pm »

Kind of an appalling bug, isn't it.
I thought it was heartbreaking to watch crippled animals and people crawl around in agony and pass out every five seconds without being able to put them out of their misery.

This... this is just... :sniffle, gets tissue papers:

I say you build an asylum and lock her in there. I've always wanted to build one. You can use dumps to drop food and booze in her cell.
Unit 1, Various legendary workers who went berserk because we had no turtle shells, Unit 2, various lunatics with delusions that they are some kind of "nobles", Unit 3...
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore