Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to mod mechanism making - a bauxite alternative  (Read 1738 times)

webkilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to mod mechanism making - a bauxite alternative
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 01:07:36 pm »

no i added it to the file... didn't replace anything

could that be the 'error' ?

should i replace an existing function instead?

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 01:14:07 pm »

Did you add with a previously existing world?  Adding reactions will break the smelter in existing games, in my experience.

webkilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 01:32:56 pm »

well there's ya problem then...

damnit

but...

does this mean i have to start over?

awww hell

and i'd just found this perfect spot with sand, magma, underground water, brooks, bauxite and everything...

DAMNIT!

so how do i do it correctly? i have delete one of the other normal reactions and substitute it with this?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 01:34:40 pm by webkilla »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 01:35:45 pm »

No. You just copy the new reaction into the file. However, you'll need to generate a new world for it to work properly.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 01:41:42 pm by 3 »

webkilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 01:40:55 pm »

damnit

oh well - here i thought i had the perfect world :(

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 02:02:47 pm »

You should, unless something went horribly wrong, be able to regen your world if you have the seed and parameters.  In case of regenning it you won't even have to replace an old reaction, just add it to the bottom of the file.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 03:08:57 pm »

It's not just the [ANY_USE] that allows mechanisms. The metal also requires the [WEAPON] tag for mechanisms to work (and throws in the bonus of siege components!)

If you're already haveing to re-gen the world, might I suggest modding in my mechanism metal Gnomeite? It's basically just iron with an extra process to make it "Gnomeite". Pretty cheap for a Bauxite analog. Especially since with metals you can just say "make gnomeite mechanisms" and KAZAM they do. no "make stone mechanisms... hopefully from this stockpile".

I listed the metal and reaction over here:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41649.0
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2009, 06:55:01 pm »

It's not actually percentile chance - it's percentage towards completion, so you'll always have to do the reaction exactly 100 times to get the product. But yeah.
Not quite.  For metal ores, this is the case, but for the modifiable reactions it is a percent chance.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2009, 07:08:13 pm »

damnit

oh well - here i thought i had the perfect world :(
You can use the mechanism reaction with the world you have if you're willing to hijack an existing reaction. Remove the brackets from every line of the reaction but the initial [REACTION:[make stuff you don't ever make anyway]] one, and put the

[NAME:cast iron mechanisms]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]
[PRODUCT:100:1:TRAPPARTS:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]
[FUEL]

lines underneath that but before the next reaction. You don't need to replace the [SMELTER] and [FUEL] tags, but it makes it easier on the eyes if you want to flip between them.

You might be able to regenerate the site with the new reaction and the same parameters, but changing the reactions file seems to have a wide-reaching effect on the worldgen. I've modified existing reactions and regenned only to find that either the mountain features have spread themselves across my chosen local area, or the soil types have changed to something non-sand.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2]