Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Windowed mode?  (Read 1087 times)

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Windowed mode?
« on: December 09, 2009, 09:07:29 pm »

I am just curious as to how many of you use windowed mode and why? Personally I think the dwarfs look cooler, and I like to be able to surf the internet, and do other things while I am playing.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Windowed mode?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 09:13:32 pm »

Windowed makes multi-tasking easier.

I switch to fullscreen for a seamless map dumping for DFMA. My setup is odd like that.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 10:17:13 pm »

Fullscreen makes the tiles look all stretched, which makes it look horrible.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 10:33:08 pm »

Within windowed mode, you can enlarge the window ( via that minimize/maximize button in the top right corner ) you can view more of the map at one time, but the graphics stay the same size.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 10:37:42 pm »

I use windowed mode; it works great, and I haven't found a good 32x32 tileset to use on my 30" in full screen.

nitnatsnoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 10:38:41 pm »

With windowed mode and running d16 I can stretch DF across both my 24" monitors for 3360x1080 glory!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 10:48:14 pm »

I am just curious as to how many of you use windowed mode and why? Personally I think the dwarfs look cooler, and I like to be able to surf the internet, and do other things while I am playing.

Fullscreen makes the tiles look all stretched, which makes it look horrible.

In response to both of these: You can just change the tileset yourself. If you like one tileset over another, or one winds up being stretched, or whatever, you can just change it. Tilesets aren't linked to windowed/fullscreen modes in any particular way except for maybe the default options.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 10:49:42 pm »

I have a dual-monitor setup, so windowed mode is basically my only feasible option if I don't want my small monitor going blank.  Besides, I can keep the Wiki open on said small monitor in case I need to look something up real quick.
Sanity is for the weak.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 11:43:09 pm »

Windowed. Most of the time spent in my fort is waiting for my dwarves to finish building whatever, so I tend to do other stuff while I wait, which is rather difficult in fullscreen.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 03:39:23 am »

It seems kind of difficult to get character sets to work right in fullscreen. I hate messing around with those things anyway though, so I've resigned to using the vanilla windowed-mode character set which is square enough for me. Still not perfectly square, but not horribly distorted either.

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 09:31:38 am »

Windowed takes up half of my screen.

When world-genning, the other half can be used for the internet without thinking that DF's crashed when it's just unresponsive.