Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interesting discovery  (Read 1238 times)

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
Interesting discovery
« on: December 12, 2009, 07:25:23 am »

This has probably been discovered before, but in searching for the magma pipe on my map, I was able to locate it without actually "discovering" it. I decided to dig down, via ramps, directly atop the magma pipe itself, and that is when it happened:

I discovered the magma pipe without even opening the chamber. The miner cancelled the "dig ramp" designation, with a warm stone located notification, and the magma pipe was revealed!

Maybe I'm just over-excited about this.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting discovery
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 07:37:55 am »

Unfortunately for you, this means that you can't get the dungeon master if that's the only thing on your map to discover. The DM only comes after you discover something (and you get the announcement). I also think you can't use magma forges and such if you don't discover it.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 07:48:12 am »

2OP
Do you mean, there was no announcement, or you mean you just discovered it without physically breaking in? I had the latter at least twice.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 08:07:00 am »

I also think you can't use magma forges and such if you don't discover it.

Not necessarily. In my latest fort I haven't had my magma discovery event either, and yet I see magma-related buildings under .

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 08:53:17 am »

I discovered it without breaking in, or having the announcement.

As for the dungeon master, I will never get him anyways. I have my population capped at 10. It is a challenge I am doing.

I am casting the luxor, from vegas, out of obsidian, as a megaconstruction, surviving only on meat, making no purchases (save for one anvil), and having a population of no greater than 10. Also, none of the populace may die.

It's going to take forever, but it's going well, so far.
Dev-status:

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 09:08:03 am »

Unfortunately for you, this means that you can't get the dungeon master if that's the only thing on your map to discover. The DM only comes after you discover something (and you get the announcement). I also think you can't use magma forges and such if you don't discover it.

The DM comes when your pop hits a certain level.  I've had DMs on maps without anything to discover (to my knowledge).  I haven't yet started to go magma hunting and the like, I just plop down somewhere and start building a fort.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 09:56:51 am »

DMs actually come because of a Feature. A feature can be a river, brook, chasm, branching chasm, underground pool, underground river, magma pipe and magma pool. And of course a circus.

When playing an isolation fort, I only had the basics, and a brook outside. I had a nice collection of dead DMs outside.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 02:34:39 pm »

Note that to make magma buildings, you need either to get the "you have discovered a magma pipe/magma pool/HFS" message, or for such features to be visible from the surface when you embark for the first time.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 03:42:30 pm »

Note that to make magma buildings, you need either to get the "you have discovered a magma pipe/magma pool/HFS" message, or for such features to be visible from the surface when you embark for the first time.

No you don't. It is not neccessary to get the message, so long as you have the magma, and no, it needn't be visible from the start. Not getting the message, and still having the magma, does not prevent you from pumping it out to make buildings.
Dev-status:

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 04:05:14 pm »

I've read accounts here from people unable to build magma-powered buildings even with magma present, so this seems to be prone to glitches.

As to neither seeing magma nor getting a report of its discovery, and still being able to build magma structures, I vouch for this being possible, as the above poster asserted.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 07:43:53 pm »

It is not neccessary to get the message, so long as you have the magma, and no, it needn't be visible from the start.

I just embarked in an area with a hidden magma pipe, and I don't have the option of building magma forges or smelters. Once I dug into it and got the discovery message, it became possible to build them.

In a completely different area, though, magma buildings were enabled immediately after embark, despite the magma not being revealed.

I'm guessing there's some other factor at play here...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 07:52:38 pm »

Strange. There has not been one map on which I have embarked, in which magma-powered structures were not immediately available on embark (this includes maps without magma).
Dev-status:

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 08:00:39 pm »

Magma buildings should never be enabled if there is no magma present in your embark region.

What version of DF are you running - 40d or 40d16?
Did you download it directly from bay12games or from somewhere else?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 09:49:43 pm »

I'm running mayhem graphics 40d11.
Dev-status: