Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Enoratis the Mad - The Sticky Ordeal  (Read 693 times)

Styledatol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Enoratis the Mad - The Sticky Ordeal
« on: December 08, 2009, 01:26:18 am »

First attempt at writing a story, hope to receive feedback and comments (good or bad).

Journal Entry # 1:

It’s been a long trek from the Mountainhomes – the way all tales start, or at least, so I’ve heard. I doubt the stories mention the joyous journey there; then again, I doubt those stories tell the tale of someone as lucky as me. ‘Go into the Elf lands; build a fortress that will be the envy of all who see it. Show those Elves what we can do.’ So said the King, and so I did…this smells like conspiracy to me: Probably because I was getting too friendly with the King’s daughter… probably should not delve into that too much, in case someone finds those journals.

Journal Entry # 2:

It’s been a joy of a journey, walking through stinking swamps with nothing but mosquitoes and an Elf for company. The other expedition members are already at the site; at least I will be able to crawl into a comfortable bed when this hell of a journey is over. My guide has been forced to do this task it seems… He looked at me oddly the other night; I think am going to sleep with my axe in hand today…

Journal Entry # 3:

I caught a lizard today, decided to keep it for dinner: haven’t eaten anything but berries for three weeks. When I walked away from the camp to get some dry twigs that son of an Elf set the lizard free: Said it was inhumane to eat the poor creature. I hope that bastard chokes on his barriers, or gets eaten by an alligator – I’ve seen a lot of those lately, I think they’re following us.

Journal Entry # 4:

Reached the site at last, not much to look at unfortunately, a cart full of ale with a makeshift tent over it, they haven’t dug in yet; apparently the miners need me to show them how to use a pick. At least I got rid of that damned Elf, his stares started freaking me out, and I could swear he touched me while I was sleeping a few nights ago.

Journal Entry # 5:

Dug into the hill yesterday, lots of mud, but at least there was no aquifer, the horror stories I’ve heard about those are enough to give any Dwarf nightmares for weeks. The carpenter started working on making us some beds, the first priority is to dig deep enough into a dry area though: The heat and humidity is beginning to spoil the ale, the food doesn’t smells too good either. I do hope we move under the ground soon, it feels as if there’s a swamp up my rear, complete with all the wildlife and Elves…. also my rear hurts every time I think of my damned guide, not sure why, not sure I want to know either.

Styledatol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Enoratis the Mad - The Sticky Ordeal
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 04:10:41 pm »

Journal Entry # 12:

Things were going well for a while, and then those Elves showed up looking to trade goods. It would have been so bad if those drunks I live with had actually done as I asked and brought the stone crafts out to trade. The Elves were getting pretty annoyed as the sun began to set and there were still no goods to trade. Throwing diplomacy aside for the moment I stormed into the caves, hearing roaring laughing coming from the dinning room: They were having a party, some were drinking and laughing while others were passed out on the tables and floor. The following event may very well seal our fate, though I pray Armok will spare us: One of the Elven merchants walked into the room and that fool of brewmaster called out “Ey fellas! There’s a Goblin o’er here! Get im!” and threw his ale mug at the merchant’s head. It took half a night and all the persuasion skill I had to calm the Elves down, they left angry though, I foresee trouble in the future.

Journal Entry # 13:

The brewmaster decided to organize another party, after last night’s event. I locked him up in his room for a few days, that’ll teach him a lesson – even if it doesn’t; at least we won’t have any parties. Made those lazy miners do some work for a change; they’ve started digging out a grand gallery, one of my own designs, it will keep them busy for a while.

Journal Entry # 23:

Winter has passed by without any incidents. Thankfully immigrants arrived from the Mountainhomes, now we can actually work on turning that system of caves into a real Dwarf home. As I entered the newly constructed feasting hall to greet the newcomers a foul stench filled the air: Apparently someone decided to bring an elephant’s corpse into the hall for some odd reason. Someone is going to sleep out in the rain tonight.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/Dokart/Elephantcorpse-1.jpg?t=1260306581

Journal Entry # 24:

One of the newcomers is a hunter it seems, at first I thought it was great: It’s been a while since me and the lads ate real meat; then, I realized that the said hunter must be brain damaged – Instead of starting out with the smaller pray, that idiot went straight for the herd of elephants that I didn’t even know about! I went out into the forest to find him, saw a lot of blood all over, then I saw him walking happily back towards the caves, carrying another elephant’s corpse. This is not going to end well…

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 04:37:43 am »

What happened to the hunter?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Styledatol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 12:45:36 pm »

The elephants weren't too happy he was slaughtering them, they followed him all the way to the back entrance of the fortress. Fortunately(or unfortunately, depends on how you look at it) he survived the ordeal and spent the following year hunting for elephants, and after those died, he went for a bigger group across the river.

Styledatol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 08:46:39 pm »

Journal Entry # 27:

Something strange has begun happening in the caverns, some began to withdraw away, Dwarves that I’ve known for years, refusing to talk. I hear noises at night, footsteps and whispers. I’ve found a pool of blood in the gallery today; none of the other Dwarves seem injured though.

Journal Entry # 41:

This place is cursed, something in this mountain drives everyone crazy… the newcomers don’t seem to be as affected by it as the others, but I think they will begin to change to. Those lazy peons refuse to do their job, spending their time in the hall drinking and eating; meanwhile I stumble over rocks that should have been cleared months ago.

Journal Entry # 42:

Voices, I keep on hearing them at night, every night now; but when I run out to the hall to check, there’s no one there. I haven’t had a decent sleep in a week, on the upside though: I came up with an idea for a perfect construction!

Journal Entry # 43:

One of the children has gone mad. She locked herself in one of the craft shops and refuses to leave, until we give her shells. I talked to the fisherdwarf, but he said there are no turtles in the river, nothing we can extract a shell from. I hope that girl will give up on her mad pursuit before she starves.

Journal Entry # 46:

The girl who locked herself in one of the shops came out, covered in blood. The walls of the shop were covered in blood: One of the dogs sneaked in somehow, the girl ripped him apart. She run towards the mining caves, but no one found her yet.

Journal Entry # 47:

The girl was found in one of the hallways this morning, lying in a pool of blood, dead. She attacked one of the war dogs; I don’t think he will live for long either. The girl’s father is grief stricken; he locked himself in the same shop she was in. At least those damned voices don’t bother me at night anymore.

Journal Entry # 50:

It’s as if the same nightmare keeps on repeating: The girl’s father has attacked one of the newcomers for no apparent reason. A wrestler that was nearby was forced to end the crazed father’s life – Two deaths in less than a week. I want to believe that this is some sort of mad coincidence, but I fear that things will be getting worse. The population of the caverns became too big for me to keep track of everybody; things are being said in the feasting hall – things that I don’t like: Rumors of a cult, Slaves of Armok, are beginning to spread. I’ll be damned if I’ll let a group of crazed dwarves do as they please in MY caves!

Journal Entry # 51:

It is time to bring life to my idea; I am heading down to the craftshop area to build it. Surely it is the answer to all of my troubles! When I finish it, everything will return to the way it was.