Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I need either a supercomputer or a stock extractor utility.  (Read 2179 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I need either a supercomputer or a stock extractor utility.
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 06:19:10 pm »

Gems are in a different category than stone is. Stone is just the rough boulders you get from mining. But in any event gems are quite rare. You're going to have far more metal ore than any sort of gems, unless they're glass gems.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 06:37:25 pm »

I'd suggest manually exporting your current counts, and then get to dumping and smashing. As long as you know how many of a certain type you've destroyed, it won't affect your final count.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 06:41:12 pm »

Gems are in a different category than stone is. Stone is just the rough boulders you get from mining. But in any event gems are quite rare. You're going to have far more metal ore than any sort of gems, unless they're glass gems.

I meant that it would subtract from the number of rough boulders you get, but as I said, its a drop in the bucket and so wouldn't mean anything. At most, you would maybe subtract 2,000 if you aren't completely mining out every level

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 06:56:59 pm »

Thats true. But you'd just add in the total number of rough gems to the count of stone.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 07:27:24 pm »

Given that the total number of stones you'll get is probabilistic, I'd recommend counting the stones from each layer independently, then making a confidence interval if you're feeling statistical. You could get some decent data without killing your computer and you wouldn't have to dig out every single layer.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 11:05:20 pm »

Actually, rather than fully explain the implications of what I'm trying to do, I'll just do this instead:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7616-projectcube

Note: I've hidden all the stone save for some pieces so moods can go on about their business.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2009, 11:09:58 pm »

Your best bet may be to bribe or cajole one of the people who do things like StoneSense to add a "export items" feature. It should be in the memory somewhere.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2009, 11:37:17 pm »

Actually, rather than fully explain the implications of what I'm trying to do, I'll just do this instead:

Note: I've hidden all the stone save for some pieces so moods can go on about their business.

I don't really get what you're trying to do.

I do see that you have converted a good amount of it to blocks. May want to invest in more bins though.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2009, 12:57:27 am »

I don't really get what you're trying to do.

Oh, haha, I think he's trying to do this:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cube_(movie)
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2009, 03:25:41 am »

I love it. Good luck.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2009, 03:43:25 am »

How much stone do you actually have? I have about 21,200 stone (a bit over a thousand of that is locked away in constructions) in my fortress right now and it lags only like 10, 15 seconds on the stone section. I've had it take a minute or two in other forts, but man, what do you have on your computer that makes it take 5 hours? Thats unusual even for the stone section of the stock screen.

You still have to account for gems, which could be up to 100 per layer, but that is a drop in the bucket in the entire number of all stones.

I'm wondering this too - I had around 250,000 stone at one point, and despite insane lag, the stone screen only took five or six minutes, and this is a five or six year old laptop.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2009, 08:35:17 am »

How much stone do you actually have? I have about 21,200 stone (a bit over a thousand of that is locked away in constructions) in my fortress right now and it lags only like 10, 15 seconds on the stone section. I've had it take a minute or two in other forts, but man, what do you have on your computer that makes it take 5 hours? Thats unusual even for the stone section of the stock screen.

You still have to account for gems, which could be up to 100 per layer, but that is a drop in the bucket in the entire number of all stones.

I'm wondering this too - I had around 250,000 stone at one point, and despite insane lag, the stone screen only took five or six minutes, and this is a five or six year old laptop.

Its possible that he could have meant 5 minutes and not hours, but that is a major typo or he was exaggerating.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2009, 09:09:18 am »

Oh hey, I've seen that one before! Don't remember the thread but IIRC you had us guess what you were planning or something such. I guess the right answer has been posted in this thread, actually... Wow. Good luck with that. I guess you need the stone count to see how many cubes of each color you can construct?

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2009, 09:30:20 am »

I can always try again when I'm ready to Pull The Lever™, but I clearly recall performance when I did it to be abysmal.

I remember Dwarf Therapist having some sort of alpha memory-reader function.  Hopefully it'll give out good results.

torne

• Bay Watcher
  • arf arf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2009, 12:37:43 pm »

dfhack comes with a tiny command line tool called dfprospector which, given the right options, tells you the exact number of each type of stone in all *unmined* squares. Not sure if that helps. Running it immediately on embark will tell you the exact composition of your site...
Pages: 1 [2]