Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: On the execution of cats  (Read 1412 times)

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
  • Behold the saccharine visage of a fluffy wambler.
    • View Profile
Re: On the execution of cats
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 12:59:21 am »

I want to keep my cats indoors... My first fortress casualty (ever) was a cat that found a goblin ambush on its way into the fortress.

I'm wanting to figure out a way to keep them inside, but I have a 3-wide hallway zigzagging for quite a ways out, to surface near the edge of the map. I can't use tightly shut doors because that would close out the caravans...

In retrospect I should put my depot in its own room and consider it 'outside' for the purposes of my fortress, and use tightly shut doors to keep my cats from reaching it. But given my current setup, can anyone think of a way to keep my cats inside? I could do a trio of floodgates set to a cat-sensitive pressure plate so it pops up in front and blocks the cat, but I need to make sure it closes opens again.

Hmm... Maybe if I set up a second trio of floodgates that closes behind the cat, trapping it between the two sets, but also opens a floodgate to a side tunnel to allow the cat back in, but also forces it over a second pressure plate that re-triggers the floodgates. Can you have two triggers set to the same set of floodgates?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 01:20:38 am by Kinoko_Otoko »

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 06:50:14 am »

I want to keep my cats indoors... My first fortress casualty (ever) was a cat that found a goblin ambush on its way into the fortress.

I'm not seeing the problem here.  You have one less cat, and you found a goblin ambush before they jumped on an important dwarf.  Just don't assign coffins for pet burial if you don't want to fill your mausoleum with dead cats.

As to your proposal, yes you can attach two triggers to the same door or gate.  The timing is probably tricky to get right and you'll burn FPS with all the continual repathing.  If the cat wants to go outside it will keep trying until the end of time, or until someone jams open the door with a sock or something.  Dorfs Cats are like that.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 10:05:40 am »

I swear, this game is a cat hater's dream.

I disagree. I believe the overpopulation of cats is to impress why it is important to spay and neuter your pets!  ;)

I have had cats in my fortress only once. I would only tolerate one male cat in the fortress, because I seem to always have the situation where any female animal I ever have that has no male counterpart, will fertilize itself! All my female animals are from the stable where mary and joe went, I swear! That is why I sacrifice them in the name of Armok and burn their remains. Anyhow, I rid my fortress of the immigrated female cat by luring the cats owner into a room full of spikes, caging him off and forcing him to watch his beloved cat impaled repeatedly as he pulled the lever over and over trying to get out.  ;D
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 10:08:13 am »

I'm wanting to figure out a way to keep them inside, but I have a 3-wide hallway zigzagging for quite a ways out, to surface near the edge of the map. I can't use tightly shut doors because that would close out the caravans...

In retrospect I should put my depot in its own room and consider it 'outside' for the purposes of my fortress, and use tightly shut doors to keep my cats from reaching it. But given my current setup, can anyone think of a way to keep my cats inside? I could do a trio of floodgates set to a cat-sensitive pressure plate so it pops up in front and blocks the cat, but I need to make sure it closes opens again.

Hmm... Maybe if I set up a second trio of floodgates that closes behind the cat, trapping it between the two sets, but also opens a floodgate to a side tunnel to allow the cat back in, but also forces it over a second pressure plate that re-triggers the floodgates. Can you have two triggers set to the same set of floodgates?

Using flood gates to cover the middle tile of a 3-tile-wide entrance isn't perfect if you still want wagons in your caravans, but it should keep your cats indoors for most of the time. Another variation would be a drawbridge.
Pages: 1 [2]