Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Immigrant Soldiers?  (Read 845 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Immigrant Soldiers?
« on: January 09, 2010, 10:37:22 pm »

Hey, I just got my first immigrant wrestler. He's a novice wrestler, hammerdwarf, shield user, and armor user. Does this happen often?
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

hexedmagica

• Bay Watcher
  • This headless lover of three
    • View Profile
Re: Immigrant Soldiers?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 10:40:11 pm »

Yeah, Immigrant soldiers pop up every once in a while.
They started to collide~

Malrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 10:42:04 pm »

It's happened to me every now and again, but they seem to be less common than a non-soldier dwarf.

But perhaps if you tweaked your fortress to be more military-centralized, you'll get more immigrant soldiers.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 11:04:45 pm »

They're incredibly rare.  And utterly worthless.

One time I had a moody peasant who was demanding silk cloth when I had none.  I stationed my immigrant marksdwarf in the room with the stupid peasant, just in case he went berzerk.  And he did go berzerk, of course.  And the stupid marksdwarf was off drinking herself into a stupor, of course.  The berzerk peasant chased around children and peasants, straight into the apartment complex, of course.  I stationed the marksdwarf to the apartments instead of the now-vacant workshop, and hoped for the best.  She showed up after he had killed 7 others, including an infant and two children.  She shot him in the hand, then charged and tried to engage in melee, becoming his 8th kill.  I finally drafted all my miners, still with picks, and the 3 miners in the apartment complex, none of whom were even up to proficient yet, struck down the peasant in the blink of an eye.  The bastard also managed to mangle another baby, giving him red wounds to the head, lower body, and all four limbs.

I swear, immigrant military dwarves are better off trained as soapers, while the soapers, lye makers, fish dissectors, etc., make better soldiers.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 11:07:46 pm »

I think it has to do with the total value of your unused weapons and armor. At the very least, I literally never get soldier-migrants when I have no excess armaments, but in my current fort where I have a couple hundred thousand money's worth of masterwork steel I've gotten one every migrant wave since the tantrum spiral ended.

Then again, it might not have anything to do with value and actually just count if you have extra weapons, armor, or both. Hard to say.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Viprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 11:13:48 pm »

I think it has to do with the total value of your unused weapons and armor. At the very least, I literally never get soldier-migrants when I have no excess armaments, but in my current fort where I have a couple hundred thousand money's worth of masterwork steel I've gotten one every migrant wave since the tantrum spiral ended.

Then again, it might not have anything to do with value and actually just count if you have extra weapons, armor, or both. Hard to say.

Considering migrant proffesions are affected by the workshops you have built, spare weapons are probably the closest thing to that to trigger military dwarves. Then again military migrants are nothing special considering a peasant can train up to their level ina  flash.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 11:20:15 pm »

Creating weapons also influences the type of sodiers you get.  Forge axes, you might get some axedwarves.  Make wooden crossbows, you might get marksdwarves.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Grafsburg

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mad Catta
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 12:39:00 pm »

I agree. I notice that I've gotten a lot of immigrant soldiers right after a goblin siege, when there were a lot of weapons and shields left around that I wasn't using.
"The great thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain." ~Bob Marley