Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: flux in world generation  (Read 2822 times)

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
flux in world generation
« on: February 17, 2012, 01:36:34 pm »

I'm trying to create an easy starting area with lots lots of minerals, nice climate, a river, etc and flux stones. All the other things are not hard but flux seems to be extremely rare on all worlds I generated so far. Additionally the 'find desired location' seems to just ignore the flux request. I can put in Flux Yes or Flux No and in either case the entire map will be green but in none of the embark squares is flux listed as appearing.
Is flux only listed if you have a lot of it and the search finds small quantities? Is this a bug (this behaviour hasn't changed after installing the new version)? Is there a way to modify (increase) the amount of flux stone during world generation (if I generate a small sized world then about 3 in 4 seem to have absolutely zero flux while the 4th one has 2 or 3 squares where flux is listed)?

All I want is a cosy embark zone with flux stones. Thanks.
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: flux in world generation
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 02:44:52 pm »

Not sure, my Finder never finishes in 34.01, it hangs up on the 3-4 column, as it searches across my worlds.  Have you tried an advanced world?  A pocket region with tightly set mineral scarcity, high elevation, and volcano parameters?  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 04:03:22 pm »

I've heard that the embark screen doesn't list marble as a flux stone, but the site finder does. So those areas the site finder finds should have flux, even if the embark screen says it doesn't.

Note that this is only what I've heard, so it could be complete bullshit.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 08:12:08 pm »

Having your volcanism too high will cause this, since highly volcanic regions don't have the sedimentary layers that have/are flux stone.

Dunno if thats helpful. Could try increasing your max subregions to increase the chances of any given region having flux stone.

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 03:52:32 am »

I justed started a region and also the embark screen did not list flux stones it has several layers of limestones. So I got everything I want, it just seems that the embark screen doesn't properly tell you about the flux stones, I guess I will just start and check.
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 03:54:03 am »

in that case site finder and embark screen are still slightly bugged, too bad
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Zara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 05:46:16 am »

I am quite sure that the display of the embark screen is bugged when it comes to flux stone. I embarked on a location which was said not to have any flux, but it turned out quite soon that it had several layers of marble. I think I'll upload the world somewhere, because the location is quite interesting.

So, one tip would be to simply ignore flux on embarking; Make sure that you Civilization has access to flux (check the 'stone' section of the items you can bring on embark), and if you ever get to the point where you can start steel production, simply import your flux. Or, with luck, the location you choose has access to flux anyway, only that it wasn't listed in the embark screen.

The other thing that would probably help is raising mineral scarcity during world generation. I tried several worlds.. (currently 56 created, and continuing), and worlds with a higher mineral scarcity have a flux listed much more often in the embark screen than world with minerals set to "everywhere" or mineral scarcity set to 100. 

Has someone already created a bug report for this? If not, I might do it, once I've uploaded the world I've mentioned. 

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 05:48:36 am »

Yea.  Flux is hit or miss.

This is not a Fortress Mode patch, by the feel of things.  It kinda feels like Toady backpedaled a little bit, and broke Fortress Mode play in order to add more content to Adventure Mode play.  These crashes in World Generation are frustrating.  If only I knew what parameter to tweak, to prevent them.

I'm seeing zero roads laid, during the time lapses.  This to me, is a major flaw.  As commerce should ebb and flow, and it just doesn't change, for 1000 years, the same roads are there, fixed around the rivers and lakes.  Hope something can be done about that.

Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Zara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 08:48:14 am »

These crashes in World Generation are frustrating.  If only I knew what parameter to tweak, to prevent them.

Slightly OT, but there should be a way to work around that. If you world gen crashes during the history part, reduce the number of history years, reduce the number of civilizations and reduce the number of sites. This worked on my PC.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 04:17:18 pm »

Wish it were that way.  Just a parameter tweak.  DF 34.01 ends on its own, and I am left holding the bill.  The world gen crash is happens 1:5 gens, right after running rivers, but before creating lakes and minierals veins.  I am certain it has something to do with linking rivers and Civs with these newly added trade routes in order to spur some kind of economy, because on the gens that don't crash, that is right where Toady's game draws roads the map.  There is this misleading No Trade, flag showing up aswell in the most inconvienent of places.  Its in the neighbors menu, just before the elevation is displaced, as you Tab thru.  No Trade wasn't a feature in the last version.  We are talking about No Trade, while on the same landblock as a road, next to a hamlet, in clean sight of a major Civ.  How can No Trade exist there?  That is odd. 

I've disabled all the new features, turned back the civs, like you suggested but still no luck.  It continues to crash 1:5 times, right there, and usually right after a long pause running rivers.  Some say its the verbose seeds, but I shy away from black balling the seed.
I've gotten rid of the crop error that was plaguing me in another thread, so that was good.  Turned out to be my drainage.  Doh!  That wasn't easy to repair, but its gone now.  So I generally get 0 rejects with this world gen, so I can ESC and spin up world after world gen, from command line.

There are no mods in this install of DF, cept Ironhand graphics.  Really scratching my head at this point.  I imagine there must be a crash log somewhere, I can look up for this.  I just don't know where to look.  You don't think its the squirell graphic, Ironhand has, that is now tricker treating as a rat?  I noticed he also hasn't got images for ravens, and a few other of these new critters.  Which is to be expected his link did say 'incomplete'.  Ya don't think that what is causing this do you?

Scinerely, Knutor