Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Universim - What i hoped Godus would be like  (Read 5762 times)

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Universim
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 11:06:37 pm »

http://www.indiedb.com/games/the-universim/news/the-universim-in-game-object-editor  Today we have some more great news to share with you! Object editors are awesome, and judging by all of your comments and feedback we can all agree that The Universim absolutely needs one.

Options are a stretch goal, namely the in-game editor. But they changed their minds and now dinosaurs are the stretch goal. Talk about equivalent exchange... It's practically DLC. Pay extra and you get it. The only difference is that everyone has to pay extra if they want to reach the stretch goal... oh wait. Everyone does pay extra for DLC. Stretch goals just start with the cutbacks and attempt to work their way up. If the Kickstarter reaches the minimum this will be a stripped down skeleton and the studio will ride the cash into the next project, which every backer will have to pay for all over again. I expect minigames for things like leaving the planet. Press 3 buttons in sequence to make the ship go faster. There's a lot of concept going on here and I'm getting vibes of Star Command all over again. I would like to be wrong.

it's a bit hard describing stretch goals as DLC but i tend to agree that it's a bit of a Cash bait.
seeing as alot of recent KS projects come under fire for their immense failings in delivering on what they promised their Backers
i can see their urgency in getting to the minimal stretch goal, with that being said i do hope they are not like Godus and that they deliver the game they dream of making.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Universim - What i hoped Godus would be like
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 11:26:30 pm »

While I am usually the first one to want to jump in on an ambitious project usually because I think ambition tends to be rare in today's "bland recognition" market.

And while I've seen a few that I thought would kind of be boring once they were finished (stonehearth)...

This is the first time I honestly questioned, on a decently ambitious project, that the creator could honestly finish.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 12:04:54 am »

I'm actually quite cynical about this. In my mind, there are numerous possible scenarios, with two very likely ones:

1.) Game is finished, but is most similar to Reus today; (at least in my opinion) it can definitely be a good/fun game, but it would be a fun, very short/casual game. You would maybe play it a couple times, "beat" it, etc., but it would have no lasting value

2.) Game is abandoned during development.

Of course, I'm not saying that this will happen, it's just what I'm (half-)expecting to happen.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 12:56:36 am »

seeing as how they intend to make customization the main focus of the game i can understand their fallacy in subjects of scientific accuracy, never the less, the game seems to be abundant with options and is intended to be much more of a story focused game then an accurate simulation of civilizations progressing through the ages of history.

pointing that this or that isn't scientifically accurate is a fallacy by itself as when it comes to story telling i would let pigs be mankinds saviors from the evil mushroom empires tyranny       
I'm not complaigning about this not being scientifically accurate. I'm complaining that the devs made a multitude of errors on their kickstarter page, including some really basic errors.

Anyway, you're not using the world fallacy correctly.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 01:05:16 am »

seeing as how they intend to make customization the main focus of the game i can understand their fallacy in subjects of scientific accuracy, never the less, the game seems to be abundant with options and is intended to be much more of a story focused game then an accurate simulation of civilizations progressing through the ages of history.

pointing that this or that isn't scientifically accurate is a fallacy by itself as when it comes to story telling i would let pigs be mankinds saviors from the evil mushroom empires tyranny       
I'm not complaigning about this not being scientifically accurate. I'm complaining that the devs made a multitude of errors on their kickstarter page, including some really basic errors.

Anyway, you're not using the world fallacy correctly.

dully fallacy noted, i'll fallacy use it fallacy properly fallacy next time.
fallacy, fallacy fallacy fallacy! fallacy?
hodor?

english is not my main language :P

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2014, 01:32:46 am »

Looks really really cool, but I'm kinda leery of funding.  Their KS video kinda reminds me of Planetary Annihilation's video, which looked -amazing- but was a mockup, with no actual legit build of a game.  The difference being, I'm pretty sure they actually mentioned that at some point, unlike these dudes, and they cited being a bunch of vets, as opposed to some random batch of guys.

jakeread1

• Bay Watcher
  • Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I got this.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2014, 02:05:42 am »

It's kind of annoying that they say no paid DLC or micro transactions, but they have exclusive in game content for backers. That's basically on disk DLC, that will never be accessible by people who hadn't heard of the game, or didn't feel like giving 40 bucks to people that might just run off with it.

Other then that I have cautious, but high hopes for this game, and wish the developers the best of luck.
New Character awaits a epic black vs hood black vs straight up black fight!
http://www.youtube.com/user/jakeread1 <----- that there is my youtube channel!

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 03:57:51 am »

Donated 20$. Let's see what I'll get in Oct 2015.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2014, 09:36:56 am »

Spore is the like that girl or guy everyone dated, that everyone thought was super special, but turned out to be an abuser. Reactions to it are varied, but almost everyone comes away with their own tale of crushed dreams and "fun" bruises.

Anyways, I have a hard time with promotions for sims because they're usually the same: imply lots of granular control over the behavior of sims, but really your options are pretty narrow. I don't doubt this will be the same. I didn't see anything there that excited me in particular, knowing it was mostly a mockup. Still, since it's already almost funded anyways, I may kick in $20 just for shits and giggles.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2014, 11:44:31 am »

dick shaped aliens invading your planet

I HATE modern humor
._.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2014, 11:51:21 am »

Looks interesting. Will keep an eye on this.
Pages: 1 [2]