Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Material recycling and tracking.  (Read 1067 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Material recycling and tracking.
« on: December 16, 2009, 06:47:31 am »

Material recycling has been brought up a few times in other threads -- we can already melt down metals, but it'd be neat to be able to, say, take a wooden table and cut a wooden ring from it.

I was thinking that, when something else occurred to me:  The game should be able to track what things a material has been used for in the past.  Obviously, this would require a more advanced system of material-recycling handling (even for melting things), but I figure it's worth bringing up now for consideration when/if that happens for other reasons.

This way, if an object becomes legendary, and is then broken down and made into other objects, those objects can state that they were once part of the original, and it could potentially (in some cases) be tracked in the Legends screen.

For instance (to use a sort-of real-world example) a piece of the true cross that is made into a wooden ring ought to be recognized as such.  Similarly, if I melt down the legendary sword of a demon general, and make it into a crown that I gift to my king, that crown should indicate its origin when examined, and (if it is legendary itself) on its legend screen, and its value might be increased because of the significance of the metal it was crafted from.

Finally, when magic is in these could sometimes result in magical properties being conveyed -- the ring made from the true cross, say, would probably have magical powers.  That crown might have powers itself, or at least potential magical connections that a magical entity could exploit.  My king might become corrupted from wearing it...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 06:49:40 am by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
Re: Material recycling and tracking.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 08:49:21 am »

Current machines do not have enough memory to track this.

Maybe if toady decides to make a DF 64bit.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 08:50:45 am »

Well in terms of gameplay it isn't the fact that Recycling has such little returns to the original materials.

It is that soo much fuel is used up (I am one of those few people who doesn't use a Magma Forge)

Personally it would be nice if when you Recycle you basically chop the part into pieces and when you have enough for a bar of that material... you use 1 fuel for it instead.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 11:46:32 am »

...what.

It's not that complicated. Items owned by noteworthy units (where "noteworthiness" is already defined in-game, generally based on what the unit killed) become noteworthy themselves. The suggestion is that when the item is reduced to base components, and when it is turned into a new item, the "noteworthiness" information is kept with it. Memory consumption is going to be equivalent to what you'd get if you'd never melted down the item in the first place; it's not going to increase your requirements.

There's also a secondary suggestion to allow recycling of more types of items, but that won't require any more memory than we currently use either.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 11:59:11 am »

...what.

It's not that complicated. Items owned by noteworthy units (where "noteworthiness" is already defined in-game, generally based on what the unit killed) become noteworthy themselves. The suggestion is that when the item is reduced to base components, and when it is turned into a new item, the "noteworthiness" information is kept with it. Memory consumption is going to be equivalent to what you'd get if you'd never melted down the item in the first place; it's not going to increase your requirements.

There's also a secondary suggestion to allow recycling of more types of items, but that won't require any more memory than we currently use either.

He just did not say noteworthy he said "Track what the material has been used for in the past"  That would include every material, every time it changes form.

I agree if only tracked legendary items and only 3 items reached legendary status memory footprint would be minimal... but he did not state it was limited to legendary items only he was just using them as an example.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 09:58:39 pm »

Uh, I said it should be "able" to do it.  I thought it was a given that this ability wouldn't be applied when it wasn't important.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 11:24:21 pm »

Ehhh just a little confusion on what you were referring to.  I thought with your examples you wanted to track what items were from what so that in the description of the wooden ring it would say that it was carved from the wood of the masterwork table carved by Urist mccarpenter.  But if you only Tracked when the object came from something legendary that would significantly decrease overhead.