Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ocean and Volcano right next to each other...  (Read 1542 times)

MatrexsVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ocean and Volcano right next to each other...
« on: December 07, 2009, 03:44:44 pm »

I genned a new world today looking for a Terrifying Desert w/a volcano but I accidently found a volcano right next to an ocean!  It seems to be a very large volcano with it's pipe maybe 20-30 tiles away from the edge of the ocean.  There's a lot of z-levels at least.

So, folks, tell me what awesome things I can do with this site!  I wanna do some cool stuff.  =)

Note:  There is black sand and an aquifer, but I doubt I'll have to deal with the aquifer since the volcano is basically a small mountain.  Also, I can start with Bauxite at embark.  Yeah!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 03:46:50 pm by MatrexsVigil »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ocean and Volcano right next to each other...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 03:46:59 pm »

You should give out the seeds, that would be nice.

Could you turn the ocean to Obsidian? That would be so awesome!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

MatrexsVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 03:56:03 pm »

You should give out the seeds, that would be nice.

Could you turn the ocean to Obsidian? That would be so awesome!

I'm using a bunch of mixed up mods (Dig Deeper, Relentless Assault to name a few, a soil one...), so I don't think giving out a seed is going to allow others to get the same world.

Hmm.  I don't really have enough ocean on the map to do more than make a sliver of ocean next to the beach obsidian. 

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 03:59:40 pm »

I see...not sure what else you could do...sure others will come up with some good ideas though!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 04:26:06 pm »

Drop the world gen info anyways. Just because you have mods, doesnt mean we cant have the base world.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 04:37:47 pm »

Drop the world gen info anyways. Just because you have mods, doesnt mean we cant have the base world.

Thats right, for every mod I have seen, the basic lay of the land will be the same, though the specific biomes, soil/stone will likely be at least a little different.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MatrexsVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 06:48:01 pm »

How exactly would I go about doing that?  =/

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 07:01:33 pm »

Build half your fortress water themed.  You could make glass blocks and build underwater structures with enough engineering.  Perpetual motion machines powering waterfalls would be necessary.  Capture some live fish to place in indoor aquariums.  The other half should bristle with spikes of cast obsidian.  In fact, build a many z-level deep reservoir next to the ocean and fill it with cast obsidian, then mine half of your fort out of that.  Channel some magma all the way to the schizophrenic fortress to use in magma falls, pits, or just for decoration.

Important parts of the fortress should be right on the split - half inverted aquarium, half obsidian.  Like the entrance.  Put a big waterfall on one side, and an equally big magma fall on the other.  Perpetual motion is your friend.  The king's chamber and arena are good candidates for split rooms as well.

When you capture enemies, flip a coin.  Side x, water; side y, magma.  For something more interesting roll a four sided dice.  One, magma; 2 water; 3, arena; 4, go free.

If you haven't embarked yet, name the fortress something appropriate.  If it were me, I'd name it Sheogorath.

Those are my initial ideas, so you should take any that sound interesting and build upon them with your own.
DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 07:35:08 pm »

Or build a fortress comprised of two mirrired halves. One is made of green glass and has waterfalls, pools, and a drowning chamber.

The other is made of cast obsidian and has magmafalls, magma pools, and magmadeathpits.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 08:02:07 pm »

Urist, that's basically what I meant, but I think it'd be better to take it a step beyond mirrored.  The realm of water strikes me as a place of serenity, calm, and reason.  The realm of magma, conversely, seems chaotic and impulsive.  It menaces with stalagmites and stalactites of obsidian.  The two halves are corrupted reflections of each other instead of 100% faithful ones.  Then in VF you can see the differences other than color.
DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 08:10:34 pm »

Make a copy of the saved world. Abandon your fortress. Play that world again, but go to Legends instead. Then export the gen data and post it in a spoiler. Please
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

snaggles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 09:21:56 pm »

Make a copy of the saved world. Abandon your fortress. Play that world again, but go to Legends instead. Then export the gen data and post it in a spoiler. Please

Instead of abandoning, you can just press esc and go to export local image. Export any z level, and when it's done, you'll gave the gen data in a .txt in your DF folder.

Whitney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 09:29:03 pm »

Any update? I was hoping for the seeds as well.