Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wet Season?  (Read 2148 times)

Kirk

• Bay Watcher
  • INTERNET WIZARD
    • View Profile
    • Black Rock Productions
Wet Season?
« on: December 05, 2009, 09:57:04 pm »

Just got my first wet season, do ponds not dry up during this season? Or does it just rain more? It's not like it really matters since my fort is under constant siege, and I'm without Military or defense.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wet Season?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 10:11:49 pm »

... wet... season?
You mean its raining? or its winter/fall.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Kirk

• Bay Watcher
  • INTERNET WIZARD
    • View Profile
    • Black Rock Productions
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 10:14:18 pm »

It was a announcement. "The wet season has arrived!"

I didn't know what it meant.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 10:34:23 pm »

Huh.... I've never seen that message. Maybe it happens in tropical biomes? I say this because they are rather rare, so perhaps I've never played in one.

Kirk

• Bay Watcher
  • INTERNET WIZARD
    • View Profile
    • Black Rock Productions
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 10:36:03 pm »

I don't think it is. There are elephants. And the grounds always yellow but theres lots of trees and shrubs. Unless dwarf fortress describes tropical weird, I didn't really see any change.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 10:36:13 pm »

Never seen that aswell...

Probably means it rains a LOT...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---

Kirk

• Bay Watcher
  • INTERNET WIZARD
    • View Profile
    • Black Rock Productions
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 10:44:37 pm »

Got a Screencap. Haha don't ask about that  Elite Wrestler. He didn't get stuck in a hole while sparring and I never noticed...  ::)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 10:44:54 pm »

I've seen it a couple of times. From what I can tell and remember, it happens mostly/entirely in tropical rain forest biomes. It seems to me that it didn't rain at all during the dry season of these regions, but rained near-constantly during the wet season. I'm not sure if it has any other special effects, or even if it really makes it rain more.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 11:21:36 pm »

I'm not sure either - on my first fort, I got it for the first time somewhere into my fifteenth or so year (the fort babies had already grown up), but never saw it again. I guess there's a certain percentage chance involved, and my fort was in a location with a low one?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 11:51:20 pm »

This is just modeling the type of weather you get in most tropical biomes. You get a wet season and a dry season, and they're aptly-named.

You can also embark in regions that don't get noticeable winters; in those areas you'll get the message "Winter has arrived on the calendar" instead of the normal message.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 11:57:49 pm »

Yeah, what everyone else said. It's essentially nonstop rainfall, which can be a blessing, considering it doesn't rain much at all otherwise.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 01:13:58 am »

I wish i had a wet season, its constantly dry here and i have yet to find that damn underground river.
Must be like 10z levels down.

Luckily i got my booze production up and running before anything horrible happened :D
---