Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Serious problems with df saves  (Read 609 times)

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Serious problems with df saves
« on: December 04, 2009, 07:46:08 pm »

I have had a problem with df crashing every time I load a saved game (or every other time I have tried to load a saved game).  I have tried dl a new zip file and not using any mods but this is still plaguing me.  Often time there is no error message but once I did get runtime exception.  I am not sure what is happening and cannot link this to anything in particular.   Any thoughts on why this is happening.  ( I am losing a fortress a day to this)
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Serious problems with df saves
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 08:04:42 pm »

This will probably sound like a stupid answer...
You are extracting the game from the zip, right?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 11:09:51 pm »

yes
stupid answers are somtimes good
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 11:15:42 pm »

When posting:
    * Choose a descriptive thread title that includes the DF version number.
    * If the game is crashing or refusing to open, include any error message that appears, along with your computer specifications and operating system.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 09:50:08 am »

running the latest 40d
----------------------
windows 64 bit (not sure if this is the problem but could be but I never used to have this problem).
4gb of ram
1gb dedicated video memory
dual core 2.0 Intel processor
300gb hard drive

no error messages (except once i did get the generic windows error box declaring a run time exception).  typically all I see is the mouse flash on the screen and the game crash to the desktop.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 11:10:35 am »

XP or Vista?

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 01:03:14 pm »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 01:39:09 pm »

Where's the game installed?  If it's in Program Files, that causes problems on Vista, though I don't know if it still does in Windows 7.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 08:33:42 pm »

I just unziped to my desktop,  if you have a better location I am open to suggestions