Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sparring Dwarfs  (Read 665 times)

MisterLich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sparring Dwarfs
« on: December 03, 2009, 06:11:41 pm »

All right, so here's what happened.  I have a military of five wrestlers with their squad leader who is a champion wrestler.  They are sparring in the barracks when I look and there is blood splatter everywhere, and some of the dwarfs are dead.  One is stunned and I look and he has a broken head and bleeding out, there's another dwarf sparring with the champion and he dies soon.  The champion has no injuries.

Did the champion kill them while sparring?

Kraegan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sparring Dwarfs
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 06:42:10 pm »

Most likely.  Once you get a champion put them on perma duty.  They don't need to spar anymore  :P

I seperate mine out of the squads their in and they join the DSF (Dorf Special Forces) which is a squad of all champions all on permanent duty.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 06:45:45 pm by Kraegan »

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 06:52:45 pm »

That might have been avoided had you given them heavy armor and shields. If possible, make full sets of both chain mail and plate mail ("full sets" as in with caps, helmets, leggings, high boots, gauntlets), preferably out of iron or steel. Then you tell them to wear medium armor, and after making sure that they've picked up and put on said armor, you switch them to heavy armor. That's because they should wear chain mail under plate, and might not don the former unless specifically ordered to.

They don't need to spar anymore  :P

Not necessarily. A champion with legendary weapon or wrestling skill might still not be legendary in armor or shield use. Separating the champions from the scrubs might be a good idea though, if you can't provide them with good armor.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 06:53:52 pm »

Here is what i do personaly to get multi-champion.

First they train Cross-Bow till champion, then i make them spar ( crossbow trainning with item stuck in hand dont help, snd even worst if stuck item isowned wich mean it will never get dropped hence never be able to train cross-bow )

Once they are champion Cross bow, they go champion wrestler, then they train mace and finaly anything wich pierce and/or slash and keep the last trainning for his perm duty, so if i want a spear dwarf he start as crossbow, then spar, mace/hammer/sword and finaly spear. by the time he get to his perm assigment he get enough skill to avoid any or all injury ( i have all my dwarf do that and i never had a single wound ) and they train with masteword weapon sometime and still no wounds.

Also any champion who get item stuck in hand and cant be removed thy desrve to go in my wrestler squad. All others go into they own squad.

ne of my champ have 9 strengh, 7 agility and 10 toughtess He is like a demi-god :D( from Dwarf therapist program Awesome third party program, cant live without it. Greatly help labor and weapon assigment. )
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 11:44:44 pm »

Wrestlers rarely kill each other, check to see if any of them are holding weapons. I one time discovered that one of my hammerdwarves picked up a crucible steel warhammer (dig deeper mod, crucible steel is even harder than regular steel) off a corpse and had happily snapped one trainee's leg and another's arm.

It's also possible this is just a freak accident. Dwarves make a skill check when they attack each other while sparring. If they fail the skill check, they attack for real which can be painful or even lethal. This usually isn't the case for wrestling, since 95% of wrestling moves are non-lethal and of the ones that are most require multiple attacks (such as repeatedly strangling someone's throat), so it's very rare for even a failed champion roll to kill. However, I've personally seen wrestlers carve a path chest deep in orcs before, so they do have the capacity.

With that many corpses though, I think your champion has a weapon. Check his inventory. Also, always assign your recruits armor if you can. Order some leather from the caravans and mass produce leather armor, that'll be enough to protect your wrestlers. You only really need metal for weapon sparring.

Edit: Personally, I don't see the need for so much cross training. The only skills a hammerdwarf will use in combat are wrestling (for dodge and grappling if the enemy grabs him), hammer, and shield. Being a legendary speardwarf doesn't help him at all. Stats are calculated on raw exp gain, which is ridiculously fast to train with wrestling. Most of my wrestlers are superdwarvenly tough, agile, and strong, but they can get those stats inside of two seasons wrestling and four training armed. Let them wrestle with leather armor and a shield, then assign them chain and a silver/wooden weapon and let them train to legendary. After that, assign them steel and leave them on duty all the time. Works just fine.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 11:47:53 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 01:04:55 am »

I do many cross-skill mostly for attribute gain :)
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?