Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (40d) Windows under construction destroyed at range by tame crocodile [RESOLVED]  (Read 543 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff

I have a 5X5 tomb for one of my nobles.  It has, among other things, two tame cave crocodiles on golden chains.  These crocodiles are chained in the center of the room where they can't reach the walls of the room or any of the previously constructed furniture.

The noble who owns the tomb has demanded "Clear glass window in tomb".  I made the glass window, but when I try to place it in the tomb as soon as a dwarf reaches the construction site I get the message "Glass Window destroyed by Stray Cave Crocodile (Tame)" and the job is canceled.  Note that the window is being built in a place where the crocodile can reach neither the window nor the dwarf constructing it.  The crocodiles are tame and don't interrupt jobs by scaring dwarves.  They are building destroyers, but a building destroyer should only be able to destroy a building it can actually reach.  And yet here a crocodile is consistently destroying a building 2 squares away from it, before that building is even finished being built.

The only mod I have on this fortress is Dig Deeper.  The crocodile in question is tame, although it shows as 'hostile' on the unit list.  (tamed exotic animals showing as hostile is a known bug and not what I'm reporting here)  Save file can be supplied on request.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 09:29:16 pm by Sphalerite »
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (40d) Windows under construction destroyed at range by tame crocodile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 08:33:41 pm »

On further testing:

Window is only destroyed when 1 or 2 squares from cave crocodile.  Window 3 squares from crocodile is untouched.  Building a wall between the crocodile and the window prevents destruction, but removing the wall allows the window to be destroyed.

Therefore it appears that tame chained cave crocodiles can destroy windows up to 2 tiles away from their actual location.  Is this intended behavior?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 09:20:44 pm »

Building destroyers automatically destroy any building within the destruction range, which is, in fact, two tiles.
Taming them does not make them unable to break buildings that they can reach.
Intended behavior as far as I know.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 09:28:58 pm »

Not a bug then, just behavior I didn't know about.  Locking the topic.