Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Have a Guard and a 'prisoner' stuck in an endless loop  (Read 552 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Have a Guard and a 'prisoner' stuck in an endless loop
« on: December 03, 2009, 02:53:03 am »

So recently I found one of my original Dwarfs, Legendary three times over, incarcerated for accidently trading prohibited goods. The sentence? 98 freaking days in jail.

While I have food stores in my cells, despite my hardest attempts Ive never got my Dwarfs to actually fill up the booze stockpile nxt to each chain, maybe something about   1x1 stockpile doesn;t make it work, either way I knew this guy would die of thrist Long before his sentence expired.

Keeping an eye on him, I let as much time past as possible before the flashing blue arrow came up.  I deconstructed the chain and door and he quickly scampered off to drink... However A gaurd snatched him, and next thing I know I get this message.

"Gaurd unable to chain animal, cannot find path"

That message seems to be on endless loop now, both the gaurd and my Dwarf are just stading on top of each other not moving.  I am getting a bit worried cause hes still flashing blue and really needs a drink

What can I do?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Have a Guard and a 'prisoner' stuck in an endless loop
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 04:59:43 am »

Reconstruct the chain, build a well within reach of the chain, pray he doesn't die of thirst during the well construction.

Other than that... I dunno.  Never had problems keeping ale in my jails.  Have you tried doing a "take from" designation from the main booze stockpile to your jail's stockpile?  Do you have spare buckets so your dwarves can bring him water?  Do you have dwarves set on "Health Care" so they will use said spare buckets?

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 09:29:23 am »

If I just leave someone in prison, arnt others forbidden from giving them food and drink?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 10:54:39 am »

I don't think so...it might just be that usually dwarves are too busy doing other things due to the errant job prioritization that is currently implemented. But if you force someone to do nothing but healthcare, he should take food to the prisoners.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 11:26:51 am »

Single-tile booze stockpiles don't work, since the game always tries to allocate an empty barrel to the stockpile, preventing it from accepting a full barrel. If you want a small booze stockpile, it must be at least 2 tiles in size.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 11:38:51 am »

Yeah, normally prisoners are brought food by other dwarves who don't have anything better to do.

Better make certain that the dwarf you turn into a nurse likes helping others. Misanthropic dwarves exist and definitely don't do healthcare jobs if they can possibly avoid it.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 02:43:16 pm »

Try channeling a 1x1 square under the two dwarfs

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 03:52:26 pm »

Your dwarves won't dig channels underneath friendly creatures. You could try dropping a cave-in on them, though.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 04:42:47 pm »

Undesignate the guard as a guard, maybe?
The only thing better than dining on a fine goblin is using said goblins tallow for soap to fix up my soldiers.