Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water Flow  (Read 1542 times)

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
Water Flow
« on: December 02, 2009, 09:15:00 pm »

Sorry if this has been posted on already; I didn't see it anywhere.

I'm trying to put up a pumpless water circuit, running from my underground river and eventually into the chasm it ran into before. Diverting the river, I guess. That said, if I completely dammed up the river's original drainage and floored over exposed channels on the way up, would it flow up across the Z-levels through the fort without pumps, or not?
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water Flow
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 09:35:53 pm »

Absolutely not.
DF water is not like water. Read the hydrodynamics thread in my signature and also this: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=40844.0
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

guale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 09:48:23 pm »

It would if the source of the UG river is on a higher z level.

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 10:56:47 pm »

@Kanddak: Your thread was where I first looked, but it didn't seem to say anything about an infinite water source like that. What would happen, then, instead of the water filling the area? Would the underground river stop flowing?
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 11:10:37 pm »

You are correct that the Hydrodynamics Education thread doesn't explain map water sources. The river experiments thread is where I determined that river sources act like pump outputs.
"Flowing" is a confusing word. I predict that any waterwheels over the blocked river would continue to turn, never mind the popular myth that "7/7 water doesn't have flow". But once all connected tiles at or below the level of the river source were filled, it would be unable to place any further water.

I have not actually tested the waterfalls-from-nowhere that start underground rivers, but I would be very surprised if they placed water in a manner completely different from all other water sources in the game. If you actually have the waterfall rather than a section of the river coming in from the map edge, you are certainly welcome to try it, see what happens, and post a video for the advancement of dwarf science.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 03:21:58 am »

A river in DF is best modelled by it coming from an infinite lake at one edge of the map and z-level of the river, and drained to a bottomless pit at the other edge. So if you dam it, then it will simply stop flowing.