Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buying RAM for christmas pressie  (Read 1467 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Buying RAM for christmas pressie
« on: December 08, 2009, 09:40:15 pm »

Oki, so my conundrum is how much should I be spending on some RAM? A friend of mine really wants to play TF2 again, but she can't due to he PC lacking 'ze Randomised Accessable Memories. I know a 1GB stick should go down well, but what do I need to check before I buy it? (Such as make/model) And how will I know if her computer can run it?

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
Re: Buying RAM for christmas pressie
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 09:43:53 pm »

1gb is actually quite low nowadays, although it should be sufficient if all she plays is TF2.

You can easily get 2gb for well under £100.

I don't think there are any compatibility issues with RAM, you just need to be able to access BIOS.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 10:30:06 pm »

I don't think there are any compatibility issues with RAM, you just need to be able to access BIOS.
Uh, what? There are three different form factors of RAM floating around (DDR, DDR2, DDR3) and they all run at different speeds.

Run CPU-Z on the machine and note down what it says, and buy that.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 10:36:17 pm »

And then there's the question of whether the RAM is going into a laptop or a desktop.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 10:42:58 pm »

And then there's the question of whether the RAM is going into a laptop or a desktop.
CPU-Z will tell them that, though. It mentions form factor, I think.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 02:47:19 am »

2gigs of decent-quality DDR2 ram can go for under $100, to say nothing of pounds. 2gb of really cheap DDR2 can be less than $60. Newegg, dude.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 06:25:54 pm »

Open the computer up. Try to find out the model and manufacturer of the motherboard. You should be able to find the memory compatibility list from the motherboard manufacturer's website.

Barring that, figure out what type (DDR, DDR2, DDR3), size and speed the existing memory is. If there are open memory slots, you can fill those, otherwise you will have to replace some memory. Some old machines may be unable to use larger memory sticks, something to be mindful of. Likewise, faster memory can be unstable and may require throttling back in bios in rare circumstances when the motherboard doesn't do so itself.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.