Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some Elf Fun  (Read 1276 times)

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
Some Elf Fun
« on: December 07, 2009, 06:59:54 am »

Earlier, I was playing around in adventure mode with an elf bowman(just so I don't get hideously mauled by wolves).
There was NOTHING TO DO. Every town told me that they were at peace, except for one that told me to kill an alligator. :\

Anyway, after a loooooooong travel, I came across the first set of migrants I've ever encountered in adventure mode. It was a bunch of elves.
After firing unsuccessfully at some elves, I finally meleed one. After a small tussle, he died and the elves scattered. I attempted to kill some more when the diplomat threatened to kill me.
I chased after him for a long period, shooting him and throwing stones at him.
At one point, an elf caught up to me and tackled me. I shot the tackler point-blank and he passed out(and I assumed he bled to death).
Anyway, I finally managed to kill the diplomat. He pissed me off because every so often, he'd yell his name at me and threatened to kill me.

The best part was when I caught up to another elf. I wasted all of my arrows on the diplomat, so I just kept throwing stones at him until he fell and then proceeded to beat him with my bow until he bled to death. :)

It was fun... and it was filmed. I'll upload it tomorrow.

EDIT: Funny thing happened in one town. I entered it and everyone immediately regained consciousness and they slowing began becoming not-stunned.

EDIT2: Great. Made an hammerman and ran into a cave. The FIRST THING I run into is a GCS! D:
I am promptly killed among a couple of crystals.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 05:19:25 pm by Jack_Bread »

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
Re: Some Elf Fun
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 01:23:10 pm »

EDIT: Funny thing happened in one town. I entered it and everyone immediately regained consciousness and they slowing began becoming not-stunned.
Probably because it was morning and they where just getting up for a busy day of standing around.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 03:26:39 am »

Probably because it was morning and they where just getting up for a busy day of standing around.
"So, what did you do today?"
"Oh, I stood by our house, wandered a few tiles to the right, a couple to the left, you know, the usual."
"Well, it might be a bit scandalous, but I walked the length of the city. And then I stood at the other side of town."
oOo "NO WAY."
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 06:13:42 am »

So... along the same lines, I ask: Why is it impossible to attack a "friendly" without using melee first? If you're sneaking and plan on assassinating an entire town... this is quite detrimental. Is there no way to attack a friendly entity from range?
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 06:39:45 am »

Since you're basically firing arrows in a direction rather than at a specific critter, there would likely be friendly fire issues in dwarf mode if attacking friendlies was permitted.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 01:04:01 pm »

Since you're basically firing arrows in a direction rather than at a specific critter, there would likely be friendly fire issues in dwarf mode if attacking friendlies was permitted.
By Armok, you'd kill your champions every time you went to battle!
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 03:58:07 pm »

So... along the same lines, I ask: Why is it impossible to attack a "friendly" without using melee first? If you're sneaking and plan on assassinating an entire town... this is quite detrimental. Is there no way to attack a friendly entity from range?

You don't shoot at targets so much as you shoot at a tile.  Friendly Fire is not enabled with range weapons so you can shoot into a melee without hitting your buddies who are on the same tile.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.