Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: wrestling for marksdwarves  (Read 648 times)

ebenezer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
wrestling for marksdwarves
« on: December 01, 2009, 04:44:10 pm »

Hi guys,
I usually train my marksdwarves by assigning them an armor and making them spar unarmed, so that they have some wrestling skills. After a while, I equip them for xbow training. The question is: what level of wrestling is sufficient, before switching to xbow?
Ebenezer cancels Dwarf Fortress: seeking infant.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: wrestling for marksdwarves
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 06:36:58 pm »

Sufficient for what?
I take them all to legendary and figure every bit of dodge chance vs enemy archers counts.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 06:46:36 pm »

It all depends on your style. I personally train them to legendary, but if you want to be able to undraft them you could stop at expert or so. It will give up a bit of dodge, but not a huge amount. Between dodge, fortifications, and block (assuming you give them a shield when wrestling and then cross trained as hammerdwarves, that's a fair bit of block as well) they'll be pretty tough to hit.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Tirin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 11:14:20 pm »

Lots. And then lots more. And then lots more.

Wrestling builds stats, trains them in shield/armor usage, and can continue to do so as long as they don't have a nervous system injury.

Marksdwarves are lazy jerks who only train when they feel like it, don't gain other skills, and require a steady stream of bone bolts.

Keep them wrestlers until you think you'll soon be needing marksdwarves. Or train them up to Legendary Marksdwarves, then make them drop the weapons and wrestle until the enemies are actually at your doorstep.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 11:18:15 pm by Tirin »

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 05:06:23 am »

I found my own approach somewhat risky:
Check all dwarves with "Soldier" jobs from time to time.
If it's nonlegendary, fortress guard.
If it's legendary already, give it a crossbow.

It took 2 years of training for me to get my first two marksdwarves ... I now have around 10 thanks to the new recruits.
This will give you relatively few marksdwarves though ... and you're screwed if you get a Bowgoblin ambush before your first brown brain wound.

ebenezer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 04:14:52 pm »

I see. I'd say that elite wrestler is a good compromise, maybe.
With sufficient I mean "good enough to provide a reliable defense". Training them to legendary wrestlers takes a lot of time and you end up having crappy marksdorfs when the time comes.

Ebenezer cancels Dwarf Fortress: seeking infant.