Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Melee w/ Fliers  (Read 2294 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Melee w/ Fliers
« on: December 02, 2009, 09:50:04 am »

Imagine a room 2 z-levels high, with hostile flying creatures and axedwarves. 

Can the axedwarves swing overhead and effectively engage creatures in the z-level above them?  Or are they locked into a single horizontal plane?  And can the fliers attack from above, or do they need to come down to the same z-level to attack?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Melee w/ Fliers
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 10:25:24 am »

I've seen giant cave swallows attack from above, and I thought I saw the same thing happen for flying macemen I modded into my game. However, I also know that flying units, if frozen above the ground via pathfinding glitch, will not engage units immediately below them on the ground, and ground units will likewise not engage them in melee, though they will shoot at them with crossbows.

It seems that aerial units are capable of attacking ground units from the air, but ground units definitely cannot retaliate.

Edit: Oh well, I guess the failure to attack was due to the pathing bug rather than any actual z-level related inability after all.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 10:39:40 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 11:10:23 am »

I've had my smelters successfully wrestle to death fire imps that were standing in the magma one level below.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 03:23:52 pm »

They can attack anybody in every adjacent tile, including above and below.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 04:12:18 pm »

They can attack anybody in every adjacent tile, including above and below.

"They" being both fliers and non-fliers, and "adjacent" being orthogonally adjacent?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 04:16:26 pm »

Everything in a three by three by three cube with themselves at the center.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 08:58:20 pm »

Confirm that.

Try attacking a flying creature in adventure mode. You'll find that you can. (Whether you want to is another matter, though. Attacking ender goblins, in retrospect, was a bad idea.)
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 09:11:30 pm »

Huh, weird.
When I played a flying adventurer, I could fly directly above the enemy, go up a couple z-levels (because I was in a town with a castle, it loaded more than one z-level up) and they could STILL hit me even though I was at z+2 or more above them.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 09:41:12 pm »

yeah, hammerdwarfs can knock down giant eagles that are several z levels above them.  things can be as high or as low as you want, it doesnt matter.

i'm not sure about adjacency, orthagonal or not.  but i can definitly confirm that things in the same square at any z-level can be hit by either party -- air or ground.

presumeably this is the same for swimming and things beneath you.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 12:38:23 am »

I had a fortress with a well over a carp infested river. I built 2 lvls above, reasoning that the carp would not attack and I'd have the rivers worth of drinking water available to me. 1 dead mason later, I tried the same trick another lvl up. Never had a problem, although I also took extra precautions to limit river adjacency and LOS to the water, so it may just be that I didn't happen to aggro.