Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Barracks  (Read 950 times)

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
    • View Profile
Barracks
« on: December 01, 2009, 03:19:18 pm »

Yeah just a quick question, once dorf population starts to get high, bedroom organisation starts to get to be a real problem for me ( as in getting all the dorfs a bedroom) so my question is, if a build a massive barracks, large enough to hold all the dorfs, and so glorious that dwarfs have been known to break down in tears at the sight of it, then would that cance out the bad thoughts from not having a proper room?
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

DaPatman

• Bay Watcher
  • GoL FTW!
    • View Profile
Re: Barracks
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 03:22:11 pm »

The quality of the barracks doesn't matter when it comes to a dwarf having "slept without a proper room recently". Just make sure they also "ate in a legendary dining room recently". That usually does the job.
I don't want to set the world on fire
Oh wait, I do.

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 03:26:22 pm »

Well ... all I've seen is lackluster moods for dwarves who don't have a chest to admire ... and I usually pamper my dwarves.

The wiki IIRC recommends building a barracks once the economy kicks in, so dwarves who are broke don't have to sleep on the ground.

So I'd recommend ... set aside an area of the fort where it's silent (not too close to workshops), designate some 50 2x2 and/or 2x3 and some 3x1 dwarf rooms. Designate it so that the miners do not have access, and repeat for 5 levels. When you get nobles,

(Unless you've changed the ini, you'll have 200 dwarves + nobles + kids, for me usually around 225-235.)

Edit: "When you get nobles, add a barracks with beds." Sorry.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 04:36:00 am by Samyotix »

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 03:44:21 pm »

Any undesignated bed should work under dwarven Economy, but I swear the little bastards prefer the barracks anyway.  Even a cheap-ass 1 tile bedroom can usually house most dwarfs (soapmakers and spouses can sleep on the floor).
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 11:07:24 pm »

Any undesignated bed should work under dwarven Economy, but I swear the little bastards prefer the barracks anyway.  Even a cheap-ass 1 tile bedroom can usually house most dwarfs (soapmakers and spouses can sleep on the floor).

Actually, spouses and children all climb into the same bed so long as one of the adults own the bed.  I once had a champion female dwarf give birth while sleeping in her bed with her three other children, and none of them woke up - not even the mother.

You might want to try communal living.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 12:09:33 am »

May I point that you don't need to assign a bedroom to every dwarf? They'll claim an empty one of their one (If there is a cheap enough around).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 02:50:24 am »

once economy starts they will

what i was asking is will a large enough barracks last them until it dies, and then i can say "here are some bedrooms, sort it out yourselves"

anyway thanks for the answers, a legendary dining room and a large barracks sounds doable.
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.