Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting a site with large z-level variance.  (Read 655 times)

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting a site with large z-level variance.
« on: December 06, 2009, 11:39:26 pm »

I am trying to get a site with as many  z-levels as possible.  I am going to use it to build a MASSIVE soap tower.  My attempts so far have involves embarking at the edge of a steep mountain.  I can get a lot of z-levels this way, but I end up with a very long narrow site that will eat up all my FPS.  World gen parameters to get mountains that are as steep as possible would be helpful.  Also if there is a utility that can increase the number of z-levels, that would help even more.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a site with large z-level variance.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 02:27:49 am »

This is kind of off the top of my head.  It has almost no functional reject parameters (and if anyone has something similar to this that does it's probably better), but should gen some interesting stuff.  You'd probably do even better to plus those elevation values (including the mesh!) into a pocket world and adjusting the reject parameters accordingly
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 07:23:17 pm »

I used a very similar worldgen to get my 100 z-level mountain, except on a smaller worldsize and with no rejects whatsoever.

A good worldgen is only the first task, mind you; once you get a world up, look for a place with flatlands next to the tallest type of mountain region (large, light grey triangle) and switch to the relative elevation screen (with the blue and grey shaded tiles).

If you find a tile with the lowest elevation on the scale right next to a tile with the highest, that ought to be a good space, but something similar to that should good enough.

Two mountains I found with this method:

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 07:45:58 pm »

Wow, that second one is amazing.  I don't suppose it has any map features?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 10:05:33 pm »

That big hole in the front is a bottomless pit, and there's a chasm between the two mountains (leading to some lewd comments when I first posted it).

Can't remember if it has sand or not (indirectly needed for soapmaking, IIRC), but I posted the seed and worldgen a while back, I can get them.

EDIT:

« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 10:10:29 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.