Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sudden idea for a fortress door  (Read 1246 times)

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
Sudden idea for a fortress door
« on: November 28, 2009, 02:31:59 pm »

I'm sure I read somewhere that building-destroyers won't damage bridges, or at least not ones that are lowered - so would making the fortress entrance a ramp down into the ground, covered by a bridge, keep them out?
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
Re: Sudden idea for a fortress door
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 02:50:13 pm »

I dunno where you read that, but it's not what I read. Building destroyers will happily destroy a lowered bridge, but they won't go for a retracted bridge.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 02:54:21 pm »

While we're all sitting around debating what each of us read instead of actually performing experiments to find out how the game works, I'd just like to throw in that even if they'll take out a lowered bridge, I've read that they can only destroy things on their current z-level, so making your fort entrance a ramp up into the fort covered by a bridge would keep them out.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 03:36:15 pm »

Build a bridge over a channeled area and make it raise towards your fortress. This way building destroyers cannot path over the channeled area to destroy your bridge.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 04:22:06 pm »

Build a bridge over a channeled area and make it raise towards your fortress. This way building destroyers cannot path over the channeled area to destroy your bridge.
Yeah, that's what I've been doing so far, I'd just been wondering what else would work. Thought this idea might be better for keeping out flying creatures.

I'd just like to throw in that even if they'll take out a lowered bridge, I've read that they can only destroy things on their current z-level, so making your fort entrance a ramp up into the fort covered by a bridge would keep them out.
Nice idea! I'll try setting that up and give it a go if a megabeast eventually turns up. :)
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 04:37:29 pm »

I can confirm that buildings destroyers do destroy bridges... but by 'building destroyer,' I mean a tantrumming queen, and by 'destroy bridges' I mean the one she's currently standing on that's positioned over 6 z-levels of water.

She hated the pretentiousness of a lesser's burial site so much that she was in a hurry to get to her own.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 06:05:53 pm »

Wait.  So is this actually a rare case on a noble offing itself WITHOUT the player helping?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 01:06:42 pm »

It happens occasionally. There is justice.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325