Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [39f] Elves only bring cloth to trade  (Read 1592 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: [39f] Elves only bring cloth to trade
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 08:30:09 am »

Elven behavior seems to vary from game to game.  I have a fortress at the moment in which so long as I have zero logs in my stockpile, the elves will bring me a caravan of nothing but wood - regardless of how much profit I gave them the previous year.  In other games I've had the elves who bring nothing but cloth, and rarely I get elves who bring be useful things like large animals and sun berries.  I think it has more to do with what resources that particular elven civilization has access to.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: [39f] Elves only bring cloth to trade
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 09:14:28 am »

The wood logs behavior is not unique to elves, but applies to all caravans - the less wood you have in your stockpiles, the more they bring, and with Elves having limited trade capacity due to not using wagons (which is rather odd, since they don't have problems using wood to make instruments, toys, crafts, weapons, or armor), they often run out of space when trying to bring wood logs, just like with cloth bins.

The order in which caravans load up their goods seems to be as follows (not certain about the order of 1 and 2 - wood logs might take precedence over liaison requests):

1(/2). Items requested from liaison
2(/1). Wood logs, depending on how much you appear to need
3. Cloth and leather bins, based on total desired caravan size
4. All other items, evenly distributed
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 09:17:24 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: 1 [2]