Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Merchants won't leave, stay, or come back.  (Read 846 times)

EZstar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Merchants won't leave, stay, or come back.
« on: November 26, 2009, 07:43:23 pm »

Sorry in advance if this has been posted already, I searched for a while and couldn't find anything quite like this on the forums or the wiki. A few years ago in my game a dwarven caravan came, and shortly after we were done trading some goblins sprung an ambush and popped a few of the traders and their animals. I actually kind of appreciated it at the time because it gave me a few precious steps to get all my dwarves inside. But for some reason, after the threat was gone the merchants wouldn't leave. After some looking around, I realized that one merchant seemed to be trapped behind the wagon of one of the dead ones, and none of the bodyguards seemed to want to leave without him. At first I tried getting rid of the wagon before recognizing that those things are damn near impossible to destroy. Then I decided just to give up on that caravan, relocate my depot, and seal the old one so they wouldn't cause problems once insanity set in.

It's been 2 years since, and I haven't gotten a dwarven merchants in either of them. I tried to dig a channel under the wagon, but it wouldn't fall through. Apparently they can fly... So I'm guessing the dwarves won't come back because they didn't ever leave, which also might explain my nonexistent immigration in the past few years. Is there a way to get them to leave/kill them? The only thing I can think of right now is to wait for the next set of goblins and shepherd them over to there, hopefully they'll finish the job this time.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Merchants won't leave, stay, or come back.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 07:50:16 pm »

Bathe them in magma, drop a cave-in on them, or wait for some enemies to show up and attack them. I'm not aware of any other options.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

EZstar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 08:22:35 pm »

Well, I can't find any magma around, and of course just when I need them no goblins are bothering to show up, so I'll see if I can drop the cave on their heads.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 11:43:58 pm »

Make an elaborate trap that squishes them then drowns their corpse, then have it cave in on their pathetic bodies!
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 06:22:57 am »

You did deconstruct your previous depot I assume?
I had a stuck human caravan a few days ago, also due to goblins attacking.
The dwarven caravan arrived, with half the human caravan stuck at the edge of the map and the other half still in the depot.
I traded with the dwarves. The dwarven caravan left normally. Then, I decided to deconstructed the trade depot and... voila! The humans all went on their merry way.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479