Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pathing Question for Liason  (Read 623 times)

PhilbertFlange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pathing Question for Liason
« on: December 27, 2009, 10:31:00 pm »

Hi All,

Long time lurker first time poster. I have a question regarding the pathing for a liason. Does anyone know if they path to the Depot, the dining/meeting room, or the broker themselves? The reason why I'm asking is because I've completely boxed off the depot, and have it arranged so that invaders won't come into the depot area.

Just to make it easier to visualize I've put the drawing below:
Code: [Select]
      G              G         
      G              G         
      G              G         
      G              G         
      G              G         
WWWWWWW              WWWWWWWW
     Sealed                 W
     courtyard              W
            DDDDD           W
G           DDDDD           W
G           DDDDD           W
Base        DDDDD           W
Entrance                    W
                            W
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
W
W
W
gggg
W
W
W

Where G are raised bridges (the top two sealing the edge space that walls can't be built on), W is wall, D is the depot, and g is a lowered bridge.

The base entrance bridge is normally sealed until a caravan arrives so that invaders don't path into the base through my sealed courtyard. The lowered bridge is used to allow invaders to path to dwarves so they'll start outside the courtyard, and is raised the minute a siege begins.

If the liason paths to the Depot, he'll arrive with the caravan in the sealed courtyard. However, if he paths to the broker ot the dining/meeting room, he'll path through the opened bridge, and show up outside the courtyard (potentially with invaders).

Rather than figure out where the liason paths by trial and error, I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on this.

Cheers!
When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.

When Dwarf Fortress gives you lemons, you mod them to have [DAMBLOCK:80][FLIER][FIREBREATH].

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
Re: Pathing Question for Liason
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 09:04:07 am »

What I noticed is that the liason follows the "diplomatic", either the expedition leader, the duke or who is in charge. He ignores the Depot, I had times where I forgot to build a Depot, the caravan arrived and waited at the edge of the map (without wagons, of course), and the liason happily proceeded to talk with my leader/broker.

The caravan at the end got to my Depot when II built it, but the liason did not mind its absence.

PhilbertFlange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 11:11:22 am »

Buggrit. That makes it much harder to protect the liason. Guess I can try to limit the number of locations he can spawn by lining the outside of the map with raised bridges, but that also limits the number of locations that invaders can come from.

I think I'll try to force the liason to come out near my orc processing plant, and path trough my smelters to get in. Even if he gets followed I can lock most/all the enemies in the processing plant and release the magma.  :D

When Dwarf Fortress gives you lemons, you mod them to have [DAMBLOCK:80][FLIER][FIREBREATH].

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 11:59:54 am »

Well, remember that the liason moves faster than caravans, and unless you are VERY unlucky he won't come two seconds before the siege.

PhilbertFlange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 08:41:53 pm »

I guess you're right. Once he's inside he can do the meeting and take off through the courtyard.