Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: hard crash / freeze requiring reboot on Vista x64  (Read 516 times)

notgrant

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
hard crash / freeze requiring reboot on Vista x64
« on: November 27, 2009, 11:04:31 pm »

Hello, new to DF.  Been having issues lately with a seemingly random hard crash: freezes the whole system requiring a hard reboot.  Screen goes all funny/tiled grey with other colors.

system info:

AMD Phenom x4 2.2Ghz
Asus mobo
4 GB Ram

Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP2 with latest updates.

using DF 40d. Tried with both the DFG (mayday tileset package) and with a fresh version, not located in /program files, located in the root of C: instead. (c:\df or c:\DFG).

Crash log doesn't appear to have anything of interest in it from what I can tell, no fatal exceptions or overflows or anything, same with the error log.  This has happened to me several times now, sometimes very early in a game (first couple years) sometimes late (180 dwarves).  Last time it killed a fortress I had invested probably 40 hours or more of play time into.  After the reboot, my fortress is gone and the Region 1 folder is missing, necessitating the starting of a new fortress. 

I searched but didn't find anything relevant to my issue.  Most people have CTD (crash to desktop) but I'm having the whole system just freeze.  This is the only time I ever experience this phenomenon: when DF is running.

I'd like to be able to play without losing everything at random, so any help would be appreciated.  Also, is there any way to salvage my game after one of these catastrophic failures?

Thanks.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: hard crash / freeze requiring reboot on Vista x64
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 04:24:37 am »

Things like this are usually a driver issue.  Try updating your graphics drivers.  Thank you for including all that helpful info, by the way.