Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bins used in hauling  (Read 1203 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bins used in hauling
« on: October 01, 2007, 04:49:00 pm »

You know all those annoying cleaning jobs? Where 30 dwarves are tied up for a month going to the entrance to pick up one shoe, and then going all the way to the chasm to drop it, and then going back for a mitten and so on?

I propose a method where an area or a room are tasked as one cleaning job, which is left to one dwarf to do. The first thing the dwarf does is to go to the store for an empty bin. The bin is then taken to the middle of the tasked cleaning area, whereupon the dwarf then goes around and picks up all the trash in the area and puts it in the bin.

After the trash is gone, or the bin is full, the dwarf goes to empty the entire bin at a time. Then, if there was more trash, it goes back to repeat the process. If not, it puts the bin back in the store.

One could even have a system with stationary bins that are set as trash receptacles. Dwarves will put trash there instead of the trash pile. Once in a while, haulers will haul the bin away to be emptied.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bins used in hauling
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 04:57:00 pm »

i like it, if players were able to manually place bins like cages and have dwarfs treat it like a stockpile it would be relatively easy to add

DrJonez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 05:03:00 pm »

I'm all for anything that increases the intelligence/efficiency of hauling jobs  :)

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 05:20:00 pm »

That's an excellent idea!
It'd take a bit of changing from the current AI to empty a full trash bin instead of simply bringing the trash to the next closest one, but if you follow Mickel's strategy, that's not even a problem!

I think this should be done automatically with a refuse pile, and could be very useful for keeping collections of bones and shells in nice, neat stocks, too.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 04:40:00 am »

Could you not do this by just placing a stockpile that allows a bin near the items you want shifted and then say to allow the hauling of the times.

Your method would be easier but this would allow a temporary work around no?

Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 08:37:00 am »

Things categorized as "refuse" don't get put in bins, I don't think, even if you want them to.

The best workaround I can think of is to build your fortress on the other side of the chasm, so the main casualties of the battle die right next to it.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 11:10:00 am »

True, but I'm not interested in workarounds.
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.