Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Designation  (Read 800 times)

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Designation
« on: March 18, 2008, 04:12:00 pm »

(Sorry, premature enter)

A simple suggestion: a new designation mode (b) break through, which normally makes your dwarves dig through wet and smoothed walls and walls adjacent to magma you know of. The normal (d) dig would then never destroy wet, smoothed/fortified or engraved walls.

Why? To allow the excavation of the irregular edge of waterlogged rocks without either designating it one by one, causing many unnecessary trips of your dwarves. To excavate a section completely after all necessary walls have been smoothed. To prevent accidental destruction of water containment or engravings.

[ March 18, 2008: Message edited by: Silverionmox ]

Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
Re: Designation
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 04:19:00 pm »

Seconded

Oh no you edited it  :D
I still second this, even if the possibilities for disaster are endless   :p

[ March 18, 2008: Message edited by: Drakale ]

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 04:29:00 pm »

Well, not quite. You have to make a conscious decision to break through, since (d) would still be used for the ordinary tunneling. One could argue that paying attention what you dig is part and parcel of the game, but I suggest that these admirable people then use the (b)reak option to designate all digging.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 04:48:00 pm »

Yeah agreed... But the uses of this seem kinda limited to a few special cases. Would be another tool though, can't have enough of those.