Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stopping worldgen early?  (Read 1393 times)

glueheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stopping worldgen early?
« on: November 23, 2009, 04:00:17 pm »

My last fortress captured a dragon, but when I looked at legends I realized that I had captured the last megabeast in the world. I decided that megabeasts make dwarven arenas much more interesting, so in my next world I will make the worldgen end sooner so that more of them survive.

I also noticed that this makes civilizations smaller, since they have less time to develop. So what effects does having smaller civs have on gameplay? Will trading or sieges become smaller?

small lawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stopping worldgen early?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 04:17:02 pm »

As far as I'm aware the caravans will still bring the same stuff, but you're less likely to get all the civs since they haven't spread across as much of the world.

Someone should probably test this though.

TheDarkJay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 04:31:45 pm »

Crank up the cave count and cave size. Crank it right up. On Large worlds that stop at either 1050 years or 80% megabeast death worlds can typically go on until year 600ish, and it allows Civs plenty of time to develop.

Anyway: I've used very new worlds before, and never noticed any changes to caravans or anything, but I'm not the most observant of players.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 04:54:43 pm »

The main difference is that civilizations will have had less time to establish new towns/forts/etc., which means they're less likely to have access to various tradable goods. Elves might not have sunberries or giant desert scorpions; dwarves might not have bauxite. The more sites a civilization has, the greater variety of goods they have available to trade to you.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 06:02:41 pm »

You could always crank up the [SIZE] and [DAMBLOCK] to ridiculous levels on all the megabeasts. This would enable them to more easily survive worldgen. Just remember to reset them after worldgen so you don't have invincible megabeasts attacking your fort.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 09:09:09 pm »

You could also go to the advanced world gen, go to the option labelled 'Percentage Beasts Dead for Stoppage' and put it at 0.

Then, go to the next option down, 'Year to Begin Checking Megabeast Percentage', put it to your year of choice. The world will stop on that date. It's best to put it early for all the megabeasts.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 08:10:36 am »

You could always crank up the [SIZE] and [DAMBLOCK] to ridiculous levels on all the megabeasts. This would enable them to more easily survive worldgen. Just remember to reset them after worldgen so you don't have invincible megabeasts attacking your fort.

Eh, I find that my size 140/damblock 100 hydras survive world gen decently enough and are still not much more than a minor challenge in fortress mode.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 08:44:52 am »

I've found that the resources for civilisations is mostly luck based, as I've had a fort in a 500 year old world that had only the basics available from traders, and one of my more recent forts had 100 years of (World)history, and the dwarves came by carrying GCS venom, steel, bauxite, and all kinds of everything. The elves had all sorts of animals, and checking after the fort went down showed me that they had villages everywhere from the jungles all the way to glaciers(Though that one had a population of exactly 1 elf).
The goblins had the usual nothing. The humans had 3 pages of fish meat/leather, all possible wood except tower caps, and their villages were everywhere.

My latest fort has 400 years world history, and the dwarves seem to be unsure what this 'anvil' thing is, the elves don't know about animals, and the humans look confused when asked about 'fish'.

Giving them time helps, but sometimes they just sit around for the whole time with a thumb up their(Censored)
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 09:26:47 am »

Otherwise, you can stop worldgen manually during well, worldgen. I don't remember the key to press, bu it's displayed.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.