Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No caravans... ever  (Read 679 times)

Confusticator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No caravans... ever
« on: November 27, 2009, 09:20:00 am »

So I'm more than 3 years in and I havent seen a single caravan, not even a dwarven one, or any goblins or anything other than a few groundhogs. No Immigrants, either. Whats this mean?

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: No caravans... ever
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 09:25:48 am »

You're probably in an isolated area, where no one can reach you. It happens. You might want to check for mountain ranges/oceans in the way.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

kobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 09:28:12 am »

I'm starting a new fortress and I just realized i have the same problem. I'm thinking about trying it anyway but i wanted to know what's happened in your game. There's no caravans but do immigrants come? what about goblin raiders?

Confusticator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 09:50:24 am »

well, Im 3 and a half years in, no outside contact at all of any kind. Saw a few groundhogs, and the horses that came with my caravan have bred like rabbits. There's not a lot of rock, either, so the fortress isn't that wealthy, and I havent had any immigrants so far, but I don't know if I'll get attacked by goblins or get immigrants as I get wealth. Completely isolated, otherwise, and it makes progress a little slower, since I only have what's here. And a small labor force.

Sliver Barb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 12:38:40 pm »

You're not going to get immigrants or caravans. Your civilization died out during worldgen and you're now the last dwarves on the planet.

Good luck!

(No, I'm serious. This happens sometimes.)

kobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 06:38:39 pm »

that's awesome... on the one hand i think i'm gonna abandon because its way too arduous doing thiswith just the founding seven... but i feel like i also have a moral imperative to keep going... these are the last survivors of a dead race

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 07:24:14 pm »

that's awesome... on the one hand i think i'm gonna abandon because its way too arduous doing thiswith just the founding seven... but i feel like i also have a moral imperative to keep going... these are the last survivors of a dead race

Well, not likely a dead race so much as a fallen kingdom.  There's four races that civ and I've never seen a world with only four civs...each race tends to have a number of them.  Just pick a different dwarven civ.

Confusticator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 11:27:42 pm »

Wow, the only dwarves? On the civilization screen, there is nothing. On the plus side, my 7 hoopleheads have excellent work ethics, if that influenced it in any way.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 12:23:36 am »

A real dwarf, in that situation, would at least build some gloroiusly inane monument, before they abandoned it
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 12:29:59 am »

A real dwarf, in that situation, would at least build some gloroiusly inane monument, before they abandoned it

and then fill it with magma! And make it spew out magma onto the land! And make it crush everything in tis path!
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!