Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Attracting royalty  (Read 1145 times)

toker606

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Attracting royalty
« on: November 23, 2009, 03:05:21 pm »

Can anyone give me an idea of just what they were at requirements wise when they have attracted a king in previous fortresses? I have a duchy, my architectural value is a little over 1.2 million, I have a limestone rock road leading away from my fortress and I've made several offerings to the dwarven caravan (although that might not actually make any difference right now?). I've reached the population cap but have been assured that won't stop them from coming if the conditions are met.
I would fill it with Magma if there was any on my map... there isn't, so I'm filling it with Rhesus Macaques.

piesquared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Attracting royalty
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 03:14:48 pm »

The wiki informs me that once you're a Duchy you should see "the incoming king" listed as a noble, telling you what you need to do for him to actually arrive. I've only had this happen once and it was a while ago (though still 40d) but it did happen.

If "the incoming king" isn't listed... the only thing I can think of is to wait for a dwarven caravan to come, leave the map, and return to the mountainhome.

toker606

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 03:20:26 pm »

The wiki informs me that once you're a Duchy you should see "the incoming king" listed as a noble, telling you what you need to do for him to actually arrive. I've only had this happen once and it was a while ago (though still 40d) but it did happen.

If "the incoming king" isn't listed... the only thing I can think of is to wait for a dwarven caravan to come, leave the map, and return to the mountainhome.

Ah, yes, I've just checked the nobles screen, it's there, along with exactly what I still need to bring him here. Apparently need more road value, guess I better rebuild it out of blocks.
I would fill it with Magma if there was any on my map... there isn't, so I'm filling it with Rhesus Macaques.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 08:11:37 pm »

If you've got a hallway indoors that is three or four tiles wide, you can pave some of it with metal bars and boost your road significantly with little effort.  After the king arrives you can pull that back up and get your metal bars back.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 10:22:03 pm »

If you've got a hallway indoors that is three or four tiles wide, you can pave some of it with metal bars and boost your road significantly with little effort.  After the king arrives you can pull that back up and get your metal bars back.

...I'm using this next time.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.