Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Standardized controls  (Read 668 times)

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Standardized controls
« on: November 12, 2006, 09:07:00 pm »

It's rather aggrivating for me that each menu seems to use it's own control scheme.  Menu A scrolls up and down using + and - and pgup and pgdown are * and /, while Menu B uses up and down, pgup and pgdown keys.  Menu C is different still, it uses + and - to go up and down, but uses left and right to move left and right between the blanks, but Menu D just uses the arrow keys, that is until you select something, then suddenly you are back to the + and - again.

I'd just like to see a little bit of consistancy in the controls here.  In most menus there is no reason to have more than 4 controls, however some do require more so maybe if it could be set so that the arrow keys always move the entry around, while +-*/ will always be used for entries of some kind.

I don't know but this kind of makes sense to me, and it looks like you used the control schemes from several different games and just mashed them together, and added new screens over top of it all.  Not that it's a bad thing to use old code that already works, but the end result, control-wise, isn't spectacular.

Oh yeah, I noticed in some places I could select items with the mouse if I was in windowed mode.  I like that, but it's never in any places that I'd like to do that, hopefully this gets extended soon  :)

''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Standardized controls
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 09:21:00 pm »

You get used to it eventually, or you can change the settings yourself.  If I were less lazy, I would have done it.  

The settings are in data/init/interface.txt.  I bet some people have already modified it, so if they want to post it, that would be good.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Standardized controls
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 11:13:00 pm »

Fixing the interface is on the to-do list I think.

=