Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Save Folder Vanished  (Read 837 times)

Kerikath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Save Folder Vanished
« on: November 18, 2009, 08:30:00 pm »

A few days ago I downloaded Dwarf Fortress for the first time, and I played a bit and saved a bit. After tampering with the init.text folder in ways I shouldn't have I had to completely delete dwarf fortress and install the game again. This time, however, the game doesn't have a save folder in data for no apparent reason. I can't save a game. I'm using Vista, and yes I completely deleted the old game.

Kerikath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Save Folder Vanished
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 09:03:20 pm »

Just an update to the same problem. I found that dwarf fortress hadn't been completely deleted from my machine by running a search on my entire computer. I deleted every trace of it, but now I'm still facing the same problem after having re-downloaded the rar or whatever.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 09:33:27 pm »

Have you tried starting a new fortress?  I don't know how DF works internally, but my guess is that the saves folder is something that gets auto-generated when it's needed.

You could always try creating the folder yourself, if that doesn't work.  You shouldn't need to delete every trace of the game, as far as I know it doesn't save anything to your registry so you can have multiple instances of the game installed that have no bearing on one another.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Kerikath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 11:07:48 pm »

I tried starting a new fortress and saving. It said it saved once I finished, but when I exited there was no save file. The .rar program didn't ask if I wanted to add to the archive. When I started DF again I only had the world creating options. No save existed. I tried converting the movies folder in the data folder into a save folder and that didn't work. I'm ready to try to create a new folder and name it, but so far "save" and "saves" haven't worked.

If anyone could simply tell me what the exact name of the save folder in the data folder of DF is, I greatly appreciate it. I'm not really holding much hope that it'll work, though.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 11:26:32 pm »

Silly question, but what version of DF are we talking about here?
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Kerikath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 11:48:19 pm »

Silly question, but what version of DF are we talking about here?

The latest version, but I have weird news now!

I just started up the game and created a world, then started a fortress and abandoned it immediately to see what would happen. IT SAVED! IT SAVED?!  ??? Whatever. Now when I save in game it saves properly. Oh, and if you like, feel free to decide the fate of my dwarf fortress. I'm going to be starting a game in a site with a magma pipe, flux, a river, and high savagery. And suggestions as to how my stumpy minions should die?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 12:50:34 am »

The .rar program didn't ask if I wanted to add to the archive.

Are you running DF straight out of the .rar without extracting it?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 01:59:42 am »

Did you install the game in Program Files?

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 05:14:16 pm »

The .rar program didn't ask if I wanted to add to the archive.

Are you running DF straight out of the .rar without extracting it?

Wow, if that actually worked that would be pretty hardcore...

Wish I could tell you what your specific problem was... I have five instances of the game on my machine which are literally just copy/pastes of the original that came out of package and I haven't seen this happen.
Do it.