Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kitchen screen enhancement: "Mill"  (Read 624 times)

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kitchen screen enhancement: "Mill"
« on: November 12, 2006, 06:17:00 pm »

Would it be possible to add a "Mill this" toggle to the kitchen screen, so you can forbid your dwarves from milling, say, Sweet Pods, so you can make Rum or Syrup instead of Sugar?

EDIT: Sure, it wouldn't apply to too many items, but you can't brew that many items either.

[ November 12, 2006: Message edited by: Zereth ]

Lord Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kitchen screen enhancement: "Mill"
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 07:47:00 pm »

That's a good idea. Unfortunately, this won't be coming anytime soon.
he Dwarf Fortress Blog is now up and running, albeit ugly and empty. Do your part, and email stories, worlds, and mod files to dasuberalt@yahoo.com

I''ll put it up on the blog, and give you credit.

http://dwarffortressblog.blogspot.com/

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 02:28:00 am »

as a temp work around... be selective in when you plant stuff..

then toggle off all brewing aside from pods.. brew every single one of them.. then go back to milling

... though mind you... don't see much point milling either... when will you ever use flour anyway?

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 06:13:00 pm »

*mega bump*

I'd love to see a 'mill' toggle on the kitchen screen. I was a little bit frustrated when I found that my dwarves were milling sweet pods instead of the dye plants they were supposed to be milling.

Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 08:38:00 pm »

I plant every kind of crop, (and mill it all too) because some of the guys like certain food, like flour, but you can only get them a meal of it if you cook it. And its fun...Who doesn't like making biscuts out of flour, instead of wine all the time?
Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

hippiepirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 08:51:00 pm »

what are you sober?

Magnusian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 08:55:00 pm »

This would be infinitely useful, I'd finally be able to have my syrup and flour without tons and tons of sugar.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 12:19:00 pm »

Well, you could always just make closer stockpiles of a given plant that is taken from a larger stockpile. I'd really like to see the pathfinding issues with workshops worked out better first. That is, the tendency to take items 16 steps away because there is an applicable object 1 space below through the floor instead of 3 spaces to the east.

The millstone menu could also function like the jeweler's shop, letting you choose what type of plant you wanted to mill at any given time.

The same could be done with damn near any workshop: Farmer's workshop, loom, and so on.

What would be particularly nice is the ability to set usable material types in the workshop profile screen so that individual workshops could only allow certain materials. That way I can have a workshop dedicated to a legendary mason that will only use the valuable stone while the less-skilled masons use a shop that only allows cheap stone and so on. The same could be done for the quern or millstone just by setting different material settings.

[ May 09, 2008: Message edited by: Hague ]