Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New skill (advancement) names.  (Read 991 times)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
New skill (advancement) names.
« on: December 14, 2007, 07:11:00 pm »

Because toady has effectively ran out of ideas to name the skills he put in, basically cutting off all knowledge of skill advancement past legendary, I suggest :

1-500 Dabbling
500-1100 Unskilled
1100-1800 Novice
1800-2600 Practiced
2600-3500 Normal (No name, Basically)
3500-4500 Above-Average
4500-5600 Competent
5600-6800 Skilled
6800-8100 Very skilled
8100-9500 Proficient
9500-11000 Adept
11000-12600 Expert
12600-14300 Professional
14300-16100 Accomplished
16100-18000 Great
18000-20000 Master
20000-22100 High Master
22100-24300 Grand Master
24300-26600 Legendary

And the skill levels above legendary would be +1, +2, +3, etc. would be achieved on the equation (Next=Now+500) and be named, not just be assumed as +(s).

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Arnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New skill (advancement) names.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 07:23:00 pm »

Sounds useful and easy to implant.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 08:35:00 pm »

Unskilled should be before dabbling on the list since dabbling implies that you're actually using the skill oft and on.

Other than that, I luke it,  ;-)

If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 09:11:00 pm »

It also might be nice if legendary was somewhat higher than it is now, for two reasons;
-Miners and Bookkeepers become legendary faster than you can say 'Hail Armok, god of Blood'
-Since Moods are more difficult to achieve, the rewards should be a little bit better.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 09:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PTTG??:
<STRONG>It also might be nice if legendary was somewhat higher than it is now, for two reasons;
-Miners and Bookkeepers become legendary faster than you can say 'Hail Armok, god of Blood'
-Since Moods are more difficult to achieve, the rewards should be a little bit better.</STRONG>

It would be, if this was implemented legendary would be about 6k exp more than it is now.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 09:53:00 pm »

I like the larger variety of skill levels.  Though, the "Ten Days To Become a Legend" wouldn't be quite fixed, at least it wouldn't be so glaringly obvious.

I, personally, think that skill levels should be much more difficult to obtain, to the point where it gets exponentially hard to become legendary.  Increasing skills should also require a bit more variety in a dwarf's activities within that skill.

For example, a dwarf who makes nothing but mugs all day will start seeing a plateu on his skill increases, while a dwarf who creates more of variety of stone crafts will, after a while, become more skilled faster.  The same applies to miners: A miner who does nothing but dig dirt all day won't get better at all, really, but one who digs out a variety of rocks fifteen levels below the surface will "skill up" much faster.  Same applies with engravers: If they do nothing but smooth granite floors all day, then they'll see a plateu, but if they smooth a variety of rocks and then engrave them, then they'll skill up much faster.  (I think engraving and smoothing should be different, though, but that's just me.)  Bookkeepers who just handle tiny stores won't really become that much better, but if they sit there and fumble through thousands of piles of supplies they'll learn faster.

That's just how I think it should work, though.  Getting better should be a challange, not an inevitable fate (Foregoing death, of course).

[ December 14, 2007: Message edited by: Dreamer ]

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 10:41:00 pm »

Its pretty good as is, but if you really want to id suggest 2 more:

Mythical after Legendary
Transcendant after Mythical

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 10:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tamren:
<STRONG>Its pretty good as is, but if you really want to id suggest 2 more:

Mythical after Legendary
Transcendant after Mythical</STRONG>

They're dwarves, not occultists.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 12:09:00 am »

Were talking about levels of skill, what the heck is occult about them?

If one reaches legendary skill then it means your work is so good that legends are made about it and talked about for ages on. Mythical means your work is SO good that legends are made about the LEGENDS about your work.

After mythical you could add fabled.

Transcendence means climbing or going beyond some philosophical concept or limit. If artifacts are represented by "legendary skill" then transcendance means going beyind perfection, which is the defenition of the word.

And so on, in the end all you have to do is drag some more words out of the lexicon but its nice if they make sense.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 11:22:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>And the skill levels above legendary would be +1, +2, +3, etc. would be achieved on the equation (Next=Now+500) and be named, not just be assumed as +(s).</STRONG>

Only 500?, I think you mean more like 5000.
Other than that I agree.  Legendary +N is fine by me, it's used in every other *band and *hack out there.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 04:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
[QB]

Only 500?, I think you mean more like 5000.[QB]

No the equation would be adding an extra 500 points to the next level up, instead of the 100 you get below legendary.

Example: Grand master to Legendary is 2200 exp, and legendary to legendary+1 is 2300, and the next level (legendary+2) would be 2800 more exp, and the level after would be 3300 and so on until you reach legendary+99999 (or something along those lines, I don't remember exactly how high skills can go, about 100,000 if I remember right from what Toady's said.)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 11:06:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>Example: Grand master to Legendary is 2200 exp</STRONG>

Oh, I see what you mean.

Next = Now + 500 isn't right though.
I read that as "Next Level is This Level + 500"

Should be:
ToNextLevel = ToThisLevel + 500

As you're talking about the change between levels, not the values of the levels themselves.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 01:36:00 pm »

Something occurred to me in this vein: Legendary Levels. That is that 'Legendary' does not mean that the dwarf is instantly known the world over.

It could progress like this:

Clan Legend (distant family knows and revers him)
Guild Legend (meaning all dwarves of his class would know about him)
Mead-Hall Legend (many dwarves know his name)(current Legendary)
Local Legend (i.e. entire fortress knows about him; a founding dwarf, for instance)
Regional Legend (now even the Baronry town would know about dwarf)
Bardic Legend (fame to the point of other nearby fortresses knowing him)
Civic Legend (entire civ knows about dwarf
Racial Legend (all Dwarf-kind knows of dwarf)
World Legend (nearby civs of all races know dwarf)
Epic Legend (a god of story if not in fact)

Weather or not the NPCs know about him or not does not matter yet. This is just a way for a Legendary bone carver due to a fell mood to not quite be the same as a Legendary Blacksmith/Mason/Carpenter/Hammerdwarf with 120 masterpieces to his name and Superdwarven statistics.

[ December 16, 2007: Message edited by: PTTG?? ]

[ December 16, 2007: Message edited by: PTTG?? ]

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 01:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>
As you're talking about the change between levels, not the values of the levels themselves.</STRONG>

I never payed attention during the Next=Now equation part of my Cmic classes, thanks for clearing that one up.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 02:06:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>

I never payed attention during the Next=Now equation part of my Cmic classes, thanks for clearing that one up.</STRONG>

I'm not sure if you're serious, or if you're being sarcastic, but I read equations as if they were sentences.  "Next" to mean means more of "next level" instead of "next change in levels."