Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wild Surface Seeds  (Read 536 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wild Surface Seeds
« on: November 19, 2009, 03:14:19 am »

I'm growing some surface crops, with some extended vegetables from Deeper mod.  So naturally I have a seed stockpile for those surface crops.

Lately some of my dwarves have spotted seeds for those surface crops, growing wild.  So they wander way, way out of my fortress to pick those seeds, one at a time, and dutifully carry them back to my seed stockpile.

I could:
1) stop surface farming,
2) make lots of one-square surface seed stockpiles, one per crop, and hope that my home-grown seeds keep them full,
3) stop stockpiling surface seeds, and watch them clog my kitchen,
4) lock in my dwarves and let caravans pass me by, or
5) figure out which crops are growing wild in my area, and just quit stockpiling those seeds.

5 is the best, but I don't know how to do it.  Are there any other options I've missed?

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wild Surface Seeds
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 05:00:23 am »

How exactly are your dwarves finding seeds far away from your fortress?  Quite odd.

You can only have 200 seeds of one type, then they stop being generated (until they fall back below 200, of course).  Once you get up there, you should have fewer seed problems.  Also, two-square stockpiles with only one seed type permitted and NO barrels permitted generally work the best, since bags can hold 100 seeds, and you can only have 200 seeds, soooo...

The Navigator

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 09:53:34 am »

Are you having herbalists gather plants? If so, your food stockpiles are probably full and the plants are getting left out where they were picked to rot, thus generating seeds.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 05:51:23 pm »

I don't think plants produce seeds when they wither. It's possible they do, but I've never seen it.

I'd go for option 2, personally. Once you get two hundred seeds there won't be any more, so once you get a farming going and processing and brewing, you'll reach that limit pretty quickly.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 05:55:05 am »

The Deeper mod has 17 surface crops, so getting 200 seeds per is a non-trivial task.

I don't need the food.  I'll just stop surface farming.