Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: caged animal reproduction  (Read 1104 times)

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
caged animal reproduction
« on: October 01, 2007, 12:06:00 am »

I, like many people, have a plague of cats.  I butcher 'em when I can, but my butchers are also busy doing other things more essential than cat herding.  So, my question is this:

If I somehow manage to cage all my cats, which I'm not sure can be done if it is a pet of someone, for example, will they somehow magically reproduce all the same?  The assumption is that the caged animals are not adjacent to each other, so would have to fling reproductive fluids across the room/fortress to reproduce...Anyone tested this?

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: caged animal reproduction
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 01:26:00 am »

Animals will mate no matter the distance or what they're doing.  Heck, they can give birth while they're fighting a group of snakemen and the newborns will get into the fight too.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 02:01:00 am »

Those are some very disturbing visuals... Also, I haven't experimented a lot with this, but it does seem like animals reproduce through being in the same map area, which has also been confirmed by Toady.

In an aside, the only mammals I've seen capable of the feats described by the above posters are rats.  :)

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 08:18:00 am »

My two dwarven coins.

I've had horses, which may or may not count as kitties, who were trapped in a single cage (along with all my cats and dogs), give birth to two foals, and then I had my dogs give birth to two puppies.

So it is possible for them to give birth in a cage, although the newborns aren't caged, so that requires a bit of hauling.

Yes, I'm a mean, mean, person. ^_^

Kayla

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 09:58:00 am »

Actually, if the mother is in a cage then the newborns are born inside the cage with her.  However, they escape if you don't assign them to the cage soon after they are born.

Zulaf

• Bay Watcher
  • Am I learning, or do I only think I am?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 11:16:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Pacho:
<STRONG>Actually, if the mother is in a cage then the newborns are born inside the cage with her.  However, they escape if you don't assign them to the cage soon after they are born.</STRONG>

Or you can dismantle the cage and all the animels will still reproduce and stay in the cage.

WIERD 2-5-6-8-9-14