Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Retireing Dwarves  (Read 1424 times)

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Retireing Dwarves
« on: November 12, 2006, 02:39:00 pm »

You know what would be cool? If you could select dwarves for retirement/vacation. A retired dwarf will basically stop doing any 'work', and instead will spend all their time shopping, going to parties, etc.
A vacationing dwarf also won't be unhappy about "not enough work last season" as well.

In addition to increasing the dwarves' happiness, you also give newer dwarves a chance to make some money by opening up some jobs. This option is only really useful once the economy starts, so perhaps it should be only available then.

If you desperetly need workers or your vacationers run out of cash, you'd be able to unretire the dwarf, and he'd go back to work.

I know it's possible to do this currently by manually turning off all jobs in preferences, it would be nice if there was an option to only temporarily turn them off, that way the types of jobs you set that dwarf to do will be persevered while they are on vacation.

[ November 12, 2006: Message edited by: GauHelldragon ]

[ November 12, 2006: Message edited by: GauHelldragon ]

Thunderstick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Retireing Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 02:53:00 pm »

I don't think dwarves would benefit from vacations. The dwarven mentality is different from a human one, and their line of thinking probably goes something like this.

I want stuff. Work > Cash > Stuff > Win!

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 03:12:00 pm »

I wish that when they take breaks they didn't complain about not having enough work.  It's their own damn fault!

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 05:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Thunderstick:
<STRONG>I don't think dwarves would benefit from vacations. The dwarven mentality is different from a human one, and their line of thinking probably goes something like this.

I want stuff. Work > Cash > Stuff > Win!</STRONG>

Right well you would use it on dwarves who have been working for years and have amassed a fortune. The problem is that they build up all this money, but since they are so busy working and making money, they don't have any time to actually spend it, and shops never get used.

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 06:48:00 pm »

On a different note, would it make sense for dwarves to retire after a certain age - either living off the money they have earned or living off some sort of pension? Perhaps they could just retire from certain jobs too, I can't imagine an aged dwarf mining or carrying floodgates about, but perhaps they could still do jobs like carpentry or cooking. After all, they do grow from small children and die of old age (eventually) so there must be some sort of lifespan, which could probably be expanded on.

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 01:09:00 pm »

Perhaps if the chance of illness increases as dwarves age, it could be based on competency.  Or if nobles are selected from a pool of applicants (of which age might be one factor) - mayor is a pretty cushy job.  Otherwise, I think Thunderstick's right - I don't think of dwarves as the yay! retirement sort.