Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hippies upset because there aren't any trees in the desert.  (Read 736 times)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Hippies upset because there aren't any trees in the desert.
« on: November 20, 2009, 09:01:04 am »

WTF?

My current Fortress is in the desert. I just got a visit from the Hippies. They're pissed because they claim that I'm cutting down all the trees.

I told them: "Look out the friggin' window! It's a desert! There AREN'T any trees! Go hug some trees to death and drag them back here. I need wood."

They left, but vowed to return.

The worst part is... there isn't any Magma on this map.
Never pet a burning dog.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
Re: Hippies upset because there aren't any trees in the desert.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 09:04:03 am »

From what I've read in other posts around the forums, Elves are upset with you based on the number of logs you currently own.  So if you've been trading for wood with other races, they'll blame you for the slaughter of trees even though you never lifted an axe to 'em.

Other people on treeless maps said elves would praise them for their diligence in not cutting down a single tree, so I'm guessing it's the number-of-logs-stockpiled thing that is making them angry at you.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 04:57:39 pm »

If the trader/liaison sees the wood stockpile, he registers it. So you could have 3000 logs hidden away in a stockpile, so long as the liaison never walks within eyesight of it he'll praise you for your ethical treatment of the wildlife.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 05:05:44 pm »

Well that's odd... he couldn't possibly have seen my wood stockpile. It's underground, in an area quite seperate from both the Mayor's Office and the King's Throne Room.

... unless the person that he was speaking to was wandering through my industrial district, for some unknown reason.
Never pet a burning dog.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 05:11:57 pm »

He doesn't have to literally see it.  Tower cap logs you have harvested yourself also count as trees cut.  It has been said that forbidding all the wood before the merchants arrive causes them to think you have zero wood, and therefore be more generous in supplying you.  I don't know if that is true, but maybe it would also work with Elven Diplomats?
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 05:13:57 pm »

Cacti also count as trees.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 06:54:52 pm »

If the trader/liaison sees the wood stockpile, he registers it. So you could have 3000 logs hidden away in a stockpile, so long as the liaison never walks within eyesight of it he'll praise you for your ethical treatment of the wildlife.

Am I missing something?  As long as we're talking vanilla, I've never seen an elven liaison (hence, the issue with them thinking it's a good idea to bring you nothing but rope reed).  I've had diplomats come and yell at me about the senseless butchering of their trees (hey, greedy idiots, you didn't embark here!) but that comes after the senseless butchering.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils