Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New jobs  (Read 603 times)

Flok Speargrabber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New jobs
« on: December 14, 2007, 04:45:00 pm »

Doctor: Job, Health Care
Description: Uses scalpels (rock, glass, and metal ones can be made, rock being least effective, metal most) to help injured patients get better.
Building: Hospital
Size: 5x5
Materials:
3 building materials
1 barrel
1 bed
1 bucket
1 scalpel

Guild Leader: Job, Negotiator, intimidator, judge of intent, mining and/or farming
Description: Lays out plans and boosts wages for workers. Increases worker efficiency. A noble.
Building: Guild Hall, 5x5
Materials:
3 building materials

Any more suggestions?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: New jobs
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 05:12:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 10:23:57 pm by penguinofhonor »

Flok Speargrabber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 05:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by penguinofhonor:
<STRONG>I think the health care building should be for more than one dwarf (only one bed) or should be 2x2 or 3x3. I like it. Not sure about the guild hall, I don't really get it.</STRONG>

Well, it is for more than one dwarf, but the bed is for major operations (things in the red). The guild hall is a place where dwarves of the same trade can meet and discuss tips (how to hold the pick, where good veins are located, etc.)

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 05:51:00 pm »

Random tidbit: obsidian scalpels are actually sharper and therefore more precise than metal scalpels. Just found This little example after a Google search.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Flok Speargrabber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 05:56:00 pm »

There's a topic on the forum about that actually. It's just that not-well-made scalpels and careless surgeons might leave a fragment or two in there. It's harder to do that with something you forged rather than something you chipped out.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 06:10:00 pm »

"Doctor, I have a battered left lower arm"
"Hmm..after much diagnosis and discussion with my fellow doctors, I have concluded that IT'S SCALPEL TIME"

We definitely need some boosts to healthcare, and a hospital would be great. Doctors being able to heal (or at least improve) spinal, brain, and neck injuries would be great.

Guild leader / hall... Not really.

[ December 14, 2007: Message edited by: Wooty ]

Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 06:24:00 pm »

We had guild reps in the 2D version...  All they did was sit around, ask for better lodgings than the other dwarves, and complain about having to work too hard.

Just like real life!

Yes, it would be very useful to have some sort of medical dwarf that could help out the injured and make them take slightly less than two years to heal those ribs up.  However, for a quick fix, it might just be a good idea to make dwarves bring booze instead of water.

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 01:01:00 pm »

It should take a legendary doctor to pull off a surgery on a [NERVOUS] organ with any real degree of success.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 07:24:00 pm »

Well, the result is either a dead dwarf or a healed dwarf, as opposed to eternally crippled like now, so it's still an improvement.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 05:10:00 pm »

There were some really good ideas for a dwarven hospital/clinic in this thread:
http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001422
g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.