Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unrelated weirdness  (Read 848 times)

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
Unrelated weirdness
« on: November 16, 2009, 03:55:39 pm »

So, I've been trying to add a fish people civ to my game.  So far, I've only been able to play as one as an adventurer, who can take no skills and has no equipment.  With a recent change, for the hell of it I added the [EQUIPMENT_WAGON] tag to see if I'd start play as a dead wagon.

Instead, I just noticed that something has gone very wrong in my world.  Every time I enter a dwarven settlement, I get messages of everyone being caught in clouds of boiling leather.  Then I get messages that people are freezing to death.  Then I found a cave fish silk sock on a corpse.  To top it off in an ironic way, I just heard a story of a dwarf being killed by the treant Slakga Taxflames the Silvers of Fire's dragon fire.

Is this some issue with my inexperienced modding attempts?

Also, what are some common reasons that a modded civ might not appear?  I'm running out of ideas.

Thanks.

Edit:  And later, I ran into a dwarven civ in an obsidian tower.  I even met the queen, wandering around outside.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 04:09:34 pm by Salabasama »
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
Re: Unrelated weirdness
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 04:30:10 pm »

Check if you got duplicate entries. If you copied an entry you MUST change the definition, and not end up with two "CREATURE:DWARF" or "ENTITY:MOUNTAIN" entries. I've read they can screw things up so bad you can have purring maggot fortresses by accident.

Also, EQUIPMENT_WAGON...interesting idea. But I think you'd have a chance getting these as caravan wagons.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 04:36:31 pm »

I was sure to change the entity title.  I've put it in a separate text file as well.  For the most part, it's a copy of the one for dwarves.  I was wanting to get it to work before I did anything fancy.  I did change a few bits for the sake of changing, though.
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 04:42:58 pm »

Mind copying and pasting the entity and creature definitions? We might be able to see what's wrong there.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 04:47:38 pm »

I will give it a shot.  I'll try to make it look pretty too.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Halconnen

• Bay Watcher
  • Danmaku Fortress
    • View Profile
    • Certaincake
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 05:37:29 pm »

Wouldn't happen to have a mod on that adds beastmen civs and have one that is labeled [ENTITY:FISHMEN], would you?

Also, if you make your noaks [CIV_CONTROLLABLE], make sure you removed that tag from the dwarves. Not sure if it causes this sorta buggery if you have two civs flagged controllable (I really only have seen those with double creature entries before), but it can lead to odd behavior.

EDIT: Make sure to remove that [EQUIPMENT_WAGON] tag again. [INTELLIGENT] implies [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_CIV], so the latter two are superfluous. Also, choose either [SWIMS_LEARNED] OR [SWIMS_INNATE], -not- both. And you prolly want to reduce that swim-speed to more reasonable levels. I assume your fishmen are supposed to swim reasonably fast, and not like snails close to the event horizon of a black hole. Smaller speed values means faster movement.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 05:41:47 pm by Halconnen »

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 05:41:59 pm »

No beastmen.  Only other mod I have on is the raptors, and that I added masks for dwarves.  *is trying taking off the controllable tag*

Halconnen

• Bay Watcher
  • Danmaku Fortress
    • View Profile
    • Certaincake
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 05:45:07 pm »

Woops, you are -quick-. Make sure to read my above edit as well.

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 05:57:12 pm »

Of course I'm quick, I've got a speed of 8000!  *began posting this before you were born*

Edit:  And I made the suggested changes to the creature, still no luck.  I'm gonna go eat dinner/buy donuts.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 06:04:03 pm by Salabasama »

Halconnen

• Bay Watcher
  • Danmaku Fortress
    • View Profile
    • Certaincake
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 06:11:22 pm »

Looking at the creature entry again... I assume you created a 4LUNGS entry in the body_default.txt to match the 4LUNGS you have in that [BODY] token? There ain't one included by default.

I assume this is the case, as otherwise your frogmen would be asphyxiating all over the place, but I'm just making sure. I have no idea what the problem is here if you have no duplicate entries, so I'm trying to rule anything out that -could- be a problem.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 06:14:01 pm »

Is errorlog.txt empty?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 09:11:25 pm »

Looking at the creature entry again... I assume you created a 4LUNGS entry in the body_default.txt to match the 4LUNGS you have in that [BODY] token? There ain't one included by default.

I assume this is the case, as otherwise your frogmen would be asphyxiating all over the place, but I'm just making sure. I have no idea what the problem is here if you have no duplicate entries, so I'm trying to rule anything out that -could- be a problem.
Oh, I added extra lungs!  Hadn't noticed.  Though, did not know I had to edit the body defaults for that.  They breathe fine as adventurers.
Is errorlog.txt empty?
No, it's got a large part complaining about the four lungs, though it also does that for the raptors, who load fine.  Also, something about a dwarf being unable to eat a chair.

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 11:38:58 pm »

I think it's becoming more correct.  I found a strange swamp themed HFS.  It's filled with frogs, lungfishes, turtles, pools of water, dragonflies, toads, and noaks.  Also, I found a "peasant mouth."

Anyway, if this's fixed it, then thank you four.

Edit:  Also, I think the "guy" just spawned in lava or something, because he/she's already dead, and the chamber is now filled with smoke.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 11:43:27 pm by Salabasama »

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 12:51:43 am »

Well, filter for "noak" in the historical figure list of a new world returns one elf with a name like "Spleenoak."  I get no more errors from it in the error log.  Turns out I had the biome token wrong, though still nothing appears now that it is fixed.

Maybe noaks only spawn in the underworld...

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 06:29:45 am »

Well, filter for "noak" in the historical figure list of a new world returns one elf with a name like "Spleenoak."  I get no more errors from it in the error log.  Turns out I had the biome token wrong, though still nothing appears now that it is fixed.

Maybe noaks only spawn in the underworld...

Because filtering works only with names, not species. You won't find 'noak' this way. You have to search through the list manually. And if they're supposed to be civs, they will surely be somewhere.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.