Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: create magma from molten stone  (Read 1817 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: create magma from molten stone
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2008, 10:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ilnar:
<STRONG>ok last 5 posters.... chemists or just misspent childhoods?</STRONG>

I...uh...peeked into the Anarchist's Cookbook while I was in highschool.  I never DID anything with the info, but I absorbed it because it was awesome.  A compound made from house-hold materials that can burn through anything?  I was a boy scout, and as well all know all boy scouts are pyromaniacs.  :D

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2008, 05:58:00 am »

The main purpose of solar energy is to make Golden Guns(insanely overpowered laser cannons from a James Bond movie), everybody knows that.

About the "portal to the elemental plane of fire":
TOO SOON, YOU HAVE AWAKENED ME TOO SOON EXECUTUS, WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS INTRUSION?
Dwarf cancels make iron bars: purged by fire.
Dwarf cancels haul burning corpse: tasting flames of Sulfuron.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2008, 07:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ilnar:
<STRONG>thermite,,, aluminium filings and powderd rust,,, light with magnesium fuse,,
used to melt through engine blocks and weld train tracks together,,, insta liquid iron</STRONG>

That's the stuff. I knew it needed aluminum and rust in powder, but I'd forgotten where the magnesium came in.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2008, 12:21:00 pm »

Mmm magnesium would be a good mineral for when alchemists come in.  Back to the volcano topic, I like the idea of active volcanoes that have a chance of erupting every season.  Maybe Toady can do that the same time he restores river flooding.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2008, 08:36:00 pm »

Magnesium metal is not found in nature.

We alrady have two types of stone (dolomite and olivine) that contain minable amounts of magnesium.

Like aluminum and sodium, magnesium metal is normally obtained using electrochemistry.  Anachronistic.

There is an alternative method, the Pidgeon process, that may be within the reach of dwarves.  The condensation technique for recovering the metal seems similar to that of zinc, which we know the dwarves can smelt.

So given heat and sand, and special smelters that can exclude air during both the preliminary MgO production and the smelting process, it seems achievable.

I note that the dwarves can make coke from coal, which must also be done without air contact.  So it seems their smelters can do the job.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2008, 09:40:00 am »

Bumping this in celebration of the re-filling volcanoes  :)  Maybe in the future there can be 2 levels to each volcano and river... stable level and flooding level.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2008, 03:20:00 pm »

I wonder if this means the re-enabling of "Operation: Fuck the World".
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2008, 01:01:00 am »

I wonder if something would be implemented to make it so that the magma cools after a couple hundred years  :D

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2008, 09:58:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Patarak:
<STRONG>I wonder if something would be implemented to make it so that the magma cools after a couple hundred years   :D</STRONG>

Hundred years?  Why so slow?  Magma cools near-instantly, even in air!  Albeit, not all the way through, that takes hours sometimes days, but not centuries.

Pages: 1 2 [3]