Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make movie files more friendly to view?  (Read 690 times)

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
Make movie files more friendly to view?
« on: September 27, 2007, 09:28:00 pm »

It's really cool that there is a recording/ viewing tool built into the game, but as it is I can't do much with it (at least without boring to death anyone who watches the movies). There might be some tricks I don't know about, but from what I've seen it does all of it's recording in realtime, meaning that if it takes you a long time to do something, regardless of how awesome what you did was, the movie will be boring because it will be just as slow as the original happening.

I suggest that movie playback be detached from actual time, and instead be made navigable by the user; a recording. The user navigating the recording would have access to different time-steps (i.e. one in-game step, five, ten, one hundred, and maybe a setting that does steps according to an adventurer's speed in adventure mode so you can follow the events exactly as the player saw them). This way the user would be able to see action in detail, read the event windows when relevant, and skip over boring parts like uneventful traveling or the player shopping.

This is mostly written concerning use in adventure mode, but it could help to allow a viewer to skip through the micromanaging parts and focus on watching the actual siege take place, without having to wait for the movie to get to it.

Since everything in DF takes place in steps, I think it would make sense to focus the movie recorder around those, and not the actual real-world time that something takes. A relatively short period of DF time can take a while to carry out, especially if you're playing carefully or viewing things in detail. So by having the recorder center around the in-game time rather than realistic time, I believe the movie tool could become more useful and less boring to watch, especially if one could navigate past the uninteresting parts.

What is the future of the movie tool?

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
Re: Make movie files more friendly to view?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 09:42:00 pm »

The future is here. (Which isn't to say the in-game tool couldn't be improved.)
"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 11:13:00 pm »

Alright. I'd heard that the map archive could also be used for movies but I didn't know you could navigate them using it. Handy! Maybe I might record a few movies now...

If only I had recorded the moment when my swordsman killed six undead in less than nine turns. That was the coolest counterattacking I've seen in the game.

Since my dilemma has already been brought to a close, I'll end with an off topic comment on the Story of Tragedy Mule; don't mules float?

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 10:37:00 am »

Nope, mules become waterlogged and sink. Then they stay submerged until they begin to rot, at which point they float up again. Just like people and other animals.  :)

Don't ask me how I know...

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.