Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Generic stone and not-stone: Inverse proportions?  (Read 2419 times)

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Generic stone and not-stone: Inverse proportions?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 11:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zironic:
<STRONG>IF I mine something - like granite - does the granite just magically disappear?</STRONG>

With the mod? No, it just adds all stone types to the list of economic stone; you can toggle 'normal stone' use on and off like you can normally do so with, say, magnetite.

Like I said, it's something of a tangent to the thread topic, but as others have touched on general management issues and it's so insanely useful I thought I'd mention it.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2008, 12:07:00 am »

I maintain that dealing with mined stone is a fundamental part of the game, and that it should not only remain visible, but obstruct movement and block doors and otherwise be a problem.  Since most of the fundamental parts of the game--fortress design, farming/irrigation, stockpile management--seem to have evaporated lately, maybe that's not the strongest argument.  But I'm sticking to it.

Still, hauling out excess stone is never going to be practical until we have mine carts or something.  I resubmit my previous proposal: mine carts as stockpiles that can be moved between two (or more) locations, and have a flag that automatically forbids them for all types of items.  You move the cart to your mining area and set it to accept stone.  Once it's full, you move it (from the [q] menu) to the stone dump and set it to reject all items so that the dwarves unload it into a stone stockpile.  From there you can just stockpile the stone forever, or you can build it into stuff.  Except for the movable cart itself, this works entirely within the current stockpile mechanics.

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2008, 08:56:00 pm »

I actually do like designating thousands of stones to be dumped. The quantum stockpiles make it all look so great when it is finished, I train the masons up with making stone blocks all the time, and I have loads of raw material to pave the world. Waste not, want not! I am rewarded for the micromanagement by an unblocked view of the floor engravings.

Big projects, constructions or digging, are difficult because they are time consuming. Dig out an area in sections. I find it easier to designate 50 stones for dumping over the course of a year, than designating 500 stones in one day. If it is about materials used in workshops, use "designate forbid" on the to-be-dumped-later-stones. More haulers = more dumping done. I don't try anything big with that starting 7. When I have about 20-30 idlers, it is a perfect time to work. Still difficult for people who run a huge military draft.

Mass construction is the same as mass dumping. Go to my refuse haulers, disable everything but masonry. Make sure there isn't an open mason workshop with an order issued. Then those 20 idlers go place my 20 floors.

Now, I won't complain if changes are made. I like the Designate To Be Dumped Idea. But I think the time invested in hauling and dumping excess stone is well rewarded by an orderly looking fort nowadays. I am golden as long as quantum stockpiling sticks around.

(Does anyone else mine out soil layer walls and replace them with constructed blocks just for looks, or am I just crazy? lol)

Pages: 1 [2]