Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Work Shop Preferences (small interface req)  (Read 1129 times)

mhv3

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Work Shop Preferences (small interface req)
« on: November 10, 2006, 01:11:00 pm »

I like the ability to assign the workshop preferences.  I wish I could assign 1 dwarf to not use a workshop without enabling every other dwarf.

Specific situation was I had a legendary bone crafter (Cerol) who was novice at stone carving.

I had one craft workshop assigned just to that dwarf with repeated bone craft jobs.  My other craft workshops I set to no legendary, and had my other craft dwarves doing rock crafts repeat.

Since Cerol was only novice rock carving he would ignore his dedicated shop and head to the rock carving jobs.  (since craftsworking is a single on off switch in labor)  So to stop it and still have my other dwarves do craftworking i had to enable all the other dwarves for it shop

qalnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Work Shop Preferences (small interface req)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 01:36:00 pm »

This is a nice idea.

Another idea along these lines that I've always felt would be nice is if limiting the range of dwarves by skill would limit the dwarves listed for selection.

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 02:41:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by qalnor:
<STRONG>This is a nice idea.

Another idea along these lines that I've always felt would be nice is if limiting the range of dwarves by skill would limit the dwarves listed for selection.</STRONG>

The difficult part to this is some buildings (like the aforementioned craftsdwarf) have multiple skills that are used within it.

It's probably doable, but probably tricky, and might be a pretty ugly interface (but we should be able to manage even if it is).

I'd definately be interested in this concept, someday  :)

qalnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 11:10:00 pm »

That's true, wasn't thinking about that angle.

w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 11:22:00 am »

Something that would, I think, solve your example problem, and be nice for other reasons too:

It would be nice if there were "stone crafting" and "bone crafting" and so forth jobs, instead of the current just plain "crafting".

If they're actually different skills, with different levels of competence for an individual dwarf, we should be able to tell an individual dwarf whether or not to do each of them, independently.

So, for Cerol, your legendary bone crafter, you could turn off all crafting jobs other than bone.

What would be nicer would be a way to prioritize individual dwarves' jobs.  Cerol could be set to do bone crafting jobs if there are bone crafting jobs to be done, and if not, fall back to stone crafting, then food hauling, and so forth.